Monday, February 27, 2006

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

One of my Quilt Sisters grandsons visited our gathering last week, sporting a new hair do with dozens of spiky things all over the top. I couldn’t resist touching his hair. The spikes were rock-hard and wouldn’t move in a hurricane.

I immediately thought of Dippty-Do, the gel we used to use with various sized rollers to set our hair. Sleeping on stickery curlers, pinned with small picks was something ya just had to do. Dippity Do insured that the curls would be cast-iron solid by morning.

When my brothers were little, they wore Hollywood burrs, the front flap stuck straight up with Stickum. Otherwise, they had white-side-wall cuts that required no fuss at all.

When the Beatles cut came into fashion, it was amazing how much commotion it caused. Boys were letting their hair grow long! I remember some families who really went ‘round the bend about it. One father wouldn’t talk to his son for years just because of long hair.

Now, the spiky hair and odd colors look peculiar but hardly bad enough to make a big deal over. Body piercings, especially the ones on the face, bother me more. Some kids get carried away with tattoos too

It makes me smile to think of them at their 40th HS Reunion. Hair will be a luxury for some. Tattoos may be an embarrassing reminder of a Stupid Attack.

Thankfully for me, DippityDo and rollers are things of the distant past that have been replaced with blow-dryers and curling irons.

Just one hint from Heloise: a sweaty head plus running around in a sandstorm can be a good thing. The sand becomes instant mousse and you can style your hair in a lot of creative ways. Works better than Dippity Do!

Do you have any hair raising stories to tell?.

8 comments:

Greybeard said...

Do you remember....we had a "Beatles" day where we guys emulated the moptop haircut?

Made me think also......Pat O'B. bought a set of Beatle boots.
I thought he was SO brave to risk humiliation by wearing them!

Oh, and to everyone:
"I wanta hold your hand!"

the golden horse said...

Oh, yeah, I do have a moment with the hairdo thingy.
Back when teasing was just coming in style, I was home on a Sunday afternoon and along came Yvonne and Sharon,(back when Sharon wanted to be a beautician days) and she decided she was going to tease my hair. Well, they literally held me down to do it. We laughed and giggled for hours. Of course, dad, thought we were all crazy. What a change, but after the shock, I really liked it. I think it only took a couple of cans of hairspray to hold it in place for school the next day. Thank you Sharon for getting me out of my rut and broadening my horizons. She did my hair many times after she got out of school.
The the next big change for me was one July I went to Daytona beach for two weeks and literally sat on the beach for the whole time. I turned a dark brown, but my hair turned white, so when I got home, I just kept it that way.
Go, Clariol Ultra Blue and Baby Pearl Toner. lol.

Flygirl said...

Do's of the past...Butch Wax was what the guys used to spike that front tuft of hair. It was red, wax in a little round container, and it smelled good enough to eat. I think that I might have even tried it once...yummy!

My do was so stiff that I could put the top down on my car, and drive without a hair moving out of place. Now that's a lasting do!

While my sister was going to "Beauty School" in Indianpolis, I was her experimental "Head". After she completed her "Do Training", I was very lucky to be able to rely on her for my do's.

Thank God for the Beatles...they changed my life....Yeah, Yeah, Yeah

Purple Tabby said...

When we were in grade school, the HS girls wore their hair long with one continuous roll along their shoulders. It was important that the roll not break, it had to stay in place.

That meant that the girl had to move very carefully.

One family on my bus route had four girls; waiting for them to get on the bus was almost comical.

It did not matter how late they were, how cold or rainy it was, the procession was always the same: first the oldest girl would walk very slowly from the house to the bus. When she got in the bus, the next oldest girl would begin her walk, and so on until all four were finally seated!

As my sense of style has always been suspect if not altogether absent, I never learned to appreciate this ritual.

Mother would give me a Tonette in the Fall, cutting my hair very short. This insured that I would have a fuzzy mess on my head until after Christmas when she would likely repeat the procedure.

It was a glorious day when I realized that I was bigger and stronger than Mother and could ruin my own hair all by myself, thank you very much!

Flygirl said...

Ah, the flip/roll! Too funny!

You got Tonette in the Fall and I got a stinky Lilt Home Perm.

I dreaded late August, because of the Lilt Ritual. I would hide from my mother for at least two weeks, dreading the fumes, the rods, the cotton dabbing, the glass milk bottle full of toxic liquid, the standing in a chair and bending into the kitchen sink to be soaked with smelly solutions. And the waiting with the rods in the hair...an eternity with a wash cloth over my eyes trying to keep these poisions out of my eyes.

Then the "RESULTS": two inch long fuzz, which could not be combed without the plastic teeth flying out of the combs!! There was no brush stiff enough to get through this mass either.

If anyone out there doubts this story, I have pictures to prove this Annual Lilt Ritual that took place on Whiteland Road. Where were the authorities when I needed to be rescued from this maternal abuse????

Looking back, it's a wonder that I'm not blind today from the fumes!

I do have lots of laughs with my Mom & Sister reliving the "Lilt Ritual".

the golden horse said...

i remember Judy Plymate had one of the most to be envied flips going at the time.

Greybeard said...

I just caught it......
"a sweaty head and running around in a sandstorm".....
funny!

Flygirl said...

I love the sweaty head in a sandstorm story! I got a great visual on that one! Great Story!!!