Thursday, March 23, 2006

Jerry Adam's Legacy

Today I received the following note.
I asked Kelley for permission to reprint it here, and she agreed:

From: Kelley Williams
Hello,
I wanted to thank you so much for what you wrote about Jerry. My name is Kelley (Jackson) Williams and Jerry is my father.

I surf from time to time just typing in his name to see what comes up and that's how I found your post.
I was adopted by my mom's parent's, lived in Greenwood and married a CG grad. My 4 year old son looks a lot like Jerry......at least that's what my family thinks. Let's just hope he doesn't get the teeth! He definitely has the dimples.
I wish I could have known Jerry. I was only two and a half when he was killed. I've always wanted to know if the men he was flying with that day made it back from Nam. I hope so.
I visit 187thahc.net from time to time. It's a great site. Take Care and thank you again.
kw

Kelley would like to hear from anyone that knew Jerry.
You can reach her at:
klwatdirecwaydotcom
(Change the at to @ and the dot to .)

God Bless you, Kelley.
Your Dad made the world a better place to be, in more ways than one!

7 comments:

Flygirl said...

GB
What a neat note from Jerry's daughter. I'm going to contact her and ask her if she would like all the letters I have from Jerry. It would be good for her to have them. I guess I saved them all these years for a good reason.

WOW...BLOG does good deed!

Greybeard said...

Oh Fly, how wonderful!
Those letters are a treasure for her!

Please.....if you and Kelley can share some memories, post them here.

Flygirl said...

Sent KW an email this evening! I'm so excited about this connection! I've invited her to Blog-On with us here...hope she show's up for a "Rabbit Chat"!

TwoDogs said...

What a WONDERFUL thing that this "Vandy Kids" has become.

Thank You again to those who had enough foresight to know that this would be a good thing for us. The re-connects that have happened have been fantastic for me. But, the note from Jerry's daughter adds a whole new dimension to all of this.. and brings it home.

Really home!

I would like to echo GB's last comment in the post.

And God Bless those who have made this happen thru Vandy's Kids. You know who you are.

Flygirl said...

Oh my aching back!!! I've been in the attic to fetch Jerry's letters for Kelley. I've scanned some photos from my 1963 yearbook and a very special one that I have: 1962 basketball team pic after winning the Johnson County Tournament!

I've inserted the pics into an email to Kelly. I hope she enjoys them. I'll be sending "The Letters" to her tomorrow.

Thanks to "You Know Whos" that made Vandy Kids Blog Heaven!!!!

Greybeard said...

I just cannot imagine......

At 2 1/2, Kelley would have no memory of him. Yet he is half her makeup....
she has a son that looks like him.
Seeing yearbook pics and comparing them to the face of your son........
reading the way he strung words into sentences and therefore having an idea how he thought and talked.....

Wonderful is not a word powerful enough for this. I need help finding a word that describes it.

Flygirl said...

I sent "The Letters" to KW on Monday. I cannot describe my feelings as I carefully placed those 10 or 12 envelopes containing Jerry's thoughts that have been with me for almost 40 years in the mail box. I guess that's what it feels like to commit a totally selfless act for another person that you really don't know. We all do lots of things all the time for the people that we're close to...but this was different. It's a feeling of sheer pleasure and comfort for me because it's where "The Letters" belong. I know that they will always be treasured by people who are a part of Jerry, and I believe that Jerry can rest with his daughter and grandson now.

I hope KW will Blog-On with us...and chat. The "You Know Who's" need a little warm & fuzzy feeling too!