Sunday, January 21, 2007

VIP 2007

VandysKids in Paradise

We have a classmate that lives in Paradise! Most of you that read the VK blog probably know this already. In fact, she has a blog site of her own. It’s called Golden Horse. In her Blog profile, She calls Hawaii the most isolated place on the planet. She has been a Vandys Kid, a Valley Girl, and a true Trojan since as far back as I can remember. We have missed her at the last few mini reunions. Soooo…., a few of us have decided to visit her this November. Come join us and maybe, just maybe, we can make Paradise a little less isolated for the Golden Girl.

I propose that we make our own arrangements, both travel and lodging and have a core time for everyone to be there. If you need some suggestions, email me. Golden Girl says that the first of November works for her. So, if you would like to join us, be there Thursday, Nov. 1 thru Thursday, Nov. 8. Come earlier and stay later if you’d like. At your leisure, you are welcome to stay longer or even shorter if you care to. During the core time, we can spend some fun time together doing whatever. Like a visit to Pearl Harbor, a hike to the top of Diamond Head, visit a lighthouse, a visit to Waimea Bay (one of my favorite places), or maybe some quiet time spent together in remembrance at the Punch Bowl. It will be strictly up to you to decide what you want to do and when you want to do it. We can plan on dining together several times and maybe even just hang out on occasion. You know, like maybe have a beer, a glass of wine or just try that perfect margarita that our Golden Girl makes so well…

Some of us may extend our trip and visit Maui, Kauai, or even the big island of Hawaii for a couple of days. Right now, nothing is planned except to try to be on Oahu at the same time for a few days in early November 2007.

The Lonely Planet Destination Guide said “Mark Twain declared Hawaii to be 'the loveliest fleet of islands that lies anchored in any ocean', and not even 50 years of mass tourism have managed to prove him wrong. Whether your thing is volcano spotting, surfing or hanging loose on the beach, this is the place to indulge yourself.”

Let’s go see for ourselves!

BTW – I have recently spoken with IndyEcho and she advises that the Fall Mini at her place will take place mid October instead of late Oct. This date should allow more to attend this Mini. The food is good, the Hostess is the Mostess and the people that you might meet there are the greatest.

5 comments:

Greybeard said...

VIP's as VIP's-
Love it.
Very clever TD!

There is a lot of time 'tween now and November, so much water will flow beneath the span...
But Sara Jean and I will try our dog-gone'dist to be in that number. Thanks for jumping in as guide here. I'm ignorant when it comes to where to go and what is important, so it'll be nice to have someone to point me in the right direction.
VIP 2007! Just thinkin' about it puts a smile on my face.

Anonymous said...

You kids should proud of yourselves. You seem to have found that "home is home and nothing matters as much as home and friends."
You should all make the trip and find out what it means to visit that special ship and feel what many old-timers feel, when in the persence of of something that represents fellows that gave it all. Just an observation from an old CG military guy.

the golden horse said...

TD
Wonderful letter, thank you so much.
I just hope everyone knows they are very welcome and hope to see you all soon.
I know it seems like a long time until then, but, gosh, is your life passing by as fast as mine? Wow, I can hardly catch my breath these days.
This gives everyone lots of time to find the perfect trip for themselves.
I've got the the tequila chillin' and the ice a freezin', and the poi ready.
If I can help anyone, please feel free to ask.

Greybeard said...

Hey Anon,
Thanks for your insight, and thanks for taking the time to comment.
I've been to "the Wall" in Washington, D.C., and I imagine the Arizona will have a similar effect on me-
hallowed ground.

Flygirl said...

VIP 2007 - This sounds like one mini not to be missed! I'm going to start planning on it! I've only stayed on Wakiki Beach and don't know where else to check for accommodations. Since I'm not that excited about the beach and not fond of the "city", I'm thinking about finding a more out of the way place???

GH, if you've got a suggestion, I'd really appreciate any info.

TD, where do you like to stay?

HELP!!!