Sunday, February 18, 2007

Thinking of Vandy

(I moved this topic so it didn't get lost)

Thinking of a Vandy memorial and all the great suggestions from everyone, I had a couple of ideas

1. I wonder if the current CG principal would have any ideas on a way to donate to the school but make it special for Vandy

2. Maybe the Clements' or the Tumeys know of a CG artist who could paint an oil painting of Mr. and Mrs. V. ?? Or maybe someone from Butler, Purdue or IU? There are lots of artists in Brown County (I don't know any of them but my brother might)- if they couldn't do it they might know someone who could.

3. What was the name of that trophy place we used back in the day? I wonder if they have a way on making a bronze bust or maybe a 3D plaque?

4. I understand Bill is visiting Franklin this weekend; maybe someone could call the hospital and
A) Ask him for a photo of Mr. and Mrs. V.
B) Get his current email
C) Ask him if there is something he knows Vandy would really like.

(Please don't mention to Bill what a fashion plate I turned out to be. It will hurt his feelings to remember how cruelly he dumped me so he could have more study time! Like a 4.0 in Engineering wasn't going to happen anyway!!)
**** Remember, being Reality Based was NEVER in my Skill Set.

GB's Email to Mr. Shockley:

Mr Shockley:
You may or may not be reading at Vandy's Kids and know about our concerns that Mr. Vandermeer is in the hospital. Discussion lately has been that although we are hopeful Mr V. will return to his home, at some point we will lose him. We are discussing a memorial in the form of a painting, bronze sculpture, or memorial plaque... and where such a memorial would be placed after we have it at hand.


We would appreciate your input sir. What form do you think the memorial should take? Would there be a proper place in the school for such a memorial?


We are also discussing founding a scholarship so kids that are being denied access to extra-curricular activities because of lack of funds could be granted the necessary monies to participate. We are in the very early "chatting" stages about this, so any advice you might give would certainly be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help.


Vandy's Kids

10 comments:

Flygirl said...

PT, you are fashion fusion! I love that word: fusion...it's just so in now. We're full of fusion restaurants these days...I just love to toss that word around and apply it to everything!
Oh, what Bill missed by doing the big dump on you! Hey, his loss. Does he read this blog???? Oops!

I just left a comment about the Vandy Project on GB's post about weight loss. I guess I should have put it here??? I'm losing it today or I lost it yesterday, I can't remember.

Anway, you have really good ideas. And hopefully we can get some feedback from Bill that can guide this project.

I probably sound like a large wet blanket, but check out my rambling comments on GB's weight loss post.

Reality-Based life...Not a reality for me! What???? See what I mean?

Greybeard said...

I'll forward this post and comments to Mr. Shockley and see if he has any thoughts about it.

Purple Tabby said...

Dang you're good, GB!

I used to have a Commander who said if he ever needed something done, he just told one of his GDNs (gawddamned nurses) about the job.

I'm thinking he would have been better off to tell a GDPilot! or the CGHS Class of '65!!!

Except that being AF, he would not have said GDPilot. He would have knelt on one knee and begged for an audience ;))

Flygirl said...

Don't Dread it...Do it!
Right GB?
Your post should start rumbles...

Greybeard said...

PT-
I admire a supervisor that can delegate, and knows where to delegate in order for things to be done efficiently.
Of course, being in awe of Pilots shows extraordinary intelligence too, doncha think? ;>)

GDP...
Gross Domestic Product and GD Pilot...
I love it!

Indy Echo said...

Think your ideas are great. As some of you know I own and Advertising Specialties Company. I have numerous suppliers who specialize in awards and plaques of all kinds. So using pictures as well as etching. If I can be of any assistance in this area please contact me and I can get details of what you are interested in and pricing. Just give me a call if you need my help. Office 800-974-2441.

Echo

Purple Tabby said...

WOW Indy!! That's terrific!
Tell us more about what is possible.

Indy Echo said...

Purple Tabby,

Anything is possible !!!

I can get all different shapes, sizes and designs of plaques. Some are the standard plaques as you know it, as well as specially designed free standing shapes.

They can have a place to insert a photo and then engraved/etched wording to accompany the picture/photograph.

They can be etched with a design.
ie: A Trojan Head - Vandy's picture etc. I have a graphics designer for my company that can create any kind of art work we want. He is fantastic, does the graphics designs for Cracker Barrel. You know the sweatshirts etc that you can buy. He does the art layout for them.

There are so may possibilities that I can't begin to tell you. What I suggest is that you get some feed back from (the gang) on what they would like to see and then I can go from there as far as size/style/pricing etc.

Hope this info is helpful and answers your question.

Echo

Purple Tabby said...

What would you think about this?
1) See what Mr. Shockley has to say

2) See if Hatchet (Jeff B) has a recommendation

3) See if Bill V has anything helpful hints

4) By the DDFF we narrow down the Money Ideas and the Artsy Ideas to 2 each

5) By the Oct mini at Indy's we should have enough information to send out a mass Email for classmates and take a vote

6) By the Hawaii trip in Nov., we can count the votes and make whatever-it-is happen

7) By Dec. we decide we want to do something else and take another vote??

Since most of us are over 60 we may not remember any of this by March, anyway!

Just a thought: donating to the established CGHS scholarship might be the easiest thing to do instead of flowers (when the time comes)

We can add art work (painting, bronze bust etc) at any time in the future when we decide what we want to do.

Ya know, Vandy enjoyed a drink now and then at Red’s in B’ville. He says he would never be allowed to do that today, that he would get fired for just being a regular kind of guy. Such a shame.

It would be kind of fun to have a bar stool dedicated to him (just joking—sort of)

Maybe it could be a portable bar stool that showed up wherever we happened to be. Sort of like the Brown County Open. ;))

Purple Tabby said...

Indy Echo, you are an AMAZING artist. I saw some of your work last Oct. and was just blown away.

What is your best advice about something artsy for Mr. and Mrs. V?