Thursday, March 22, 2007

Full Throttle, Half Throttle, or Coast?

If you look back in the VK archives, you'll find my post describing my life since May of '65. (Where's yours?)
In the post below this one, PT pokes all of us on the subject again and I'm watching responses there with interest.
Our "minis" have been wonderful, providing a relaxed atmosphere to share our experiences with one another. But those that haven't yet mini'd with us can share here.


Would it surprise you to find anyone that had made plans that came to fruition without a big surprise somewhere along the line? In High School I thought I might like to become an auto mechanic. It took just a few months of twisting wrenches and eating a sandwich using hands that smelled like old motor oil to convince me otherwise.
Life is like that isn't it? We frequently get what we want and find it's not at all what we dreamed. Sometimes life tosses us a surprise and we look back later to realize what a gift we were given... Joker mentioned her two kids, for instance.

Most of us are facing 60 birthdays(+ -), and I'd like to pursue looking through the other end of this telescope-
What now? What's your plan for the future?

Medicine and education are making great strides to extend our lives. We may not be running hurdles like the guy in the picture, but most of us will probably live another 30 years, and we'll be healthy and active for more of those years. What're you gonna do with that time?

We're smarter than we were in '65. We know ourselves better, we have a better feel for what is possible, so we can make better plans than those we made "back when".

A friend lent me a book titled Die Broke.
The book suggests that it's too expensive to retire... that we should continue to work, that work will help us remain physically and mentally healthy, and that we should spend every cent we own before we die, leaving our heirs
zippo.

I got a great email today from classmate Larry M.
He's retired in Southern Utah, and lovin' every minute of it.
His comment to me...
"retirement's just like bein' rich, without the money!"

( I'm gonna steal that line Larry!)
He's talkin' about time...
his time belongs to him.


So, what's your plan?
Retire early, Die Broke, or somethin' better?
Care to share?

3 comments:

the golden horse said...

GB
Great article, loved it all.
To answer your question, I just opened up a travel magazine today and in there was a quote in bold letters and I thought, "this is me."
This describes how I am thinking at this point in my life.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Explore. Dream. Discover."
- Mark Twain

I am afraid that I will get to the end and have left some stone unturned or some place to visit or some baby to kiss. Some new dish to try, a road not driven. At this point if I am able, I want to do exactly as this quote. Without dreams or goals, we have no life.
I feel as though I have been given a second chance and I want to live it to the best of my ability.
I want to leave no adventure not taken. I want to experience all that I can and grasp all the lessons with it.
I have changed my attitude about life and feel 20 years younger. This is a gift that I have been blessed with and I so appreciate it.
I want to be sure that I laugh each and every day. I hope you all will join in.

The Joker said...

As Mark Twain put it: explore, dream and discover. I have.

I wanted to raise, board and show horses. Did it.
I wanted to travel in and out of the country. Did it many times.
I wanted a big new house in Carmel. Had it.
I wanted to party til the cows came home. Did it.
I wanted to watch my children grow up. Did it.
I wanted to divorce both my husbands. Did it my way, not theirs.
I wanted to be independent after my last divorce. I am.
I wanted to stop smoking. Quit cold turkey 4 yrs ago.
I wanted to have money to do with as I please. Had it.

In the middle of all these highs have been some very real lows. But no sympathy please.

As GB put it: What now?

Even though I'm older and wiser doesn't mean I have all the answers. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

I guess I'm coasting and at the rate I'm going, will probably die broke, but I'm living my life - my way. Nothing was ever planned and I still have the humor I've always had and love to laugh, even at myself.

up, down & charmingly strange said...

I believe that we owe it to our children to die broke and leave nada.

I have met many people in my life that have inherited easy money and I’m hard pressed to think of one whose life was not in some way messed up by it.

So, show ‘em how much you love ‘em. Spend it all NOW and Die Broke.