Sunday, June 03, 2007

Hawaii- For Your Consideration

I've already been to Hawaii.
November 1st of 1968... a stretched "World Airways" DC-8 with 300 Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines landed in Honolulu to refuel on its way to Tan Son Nhut Airport, in Saigon.
Told we had about 45 minutes before reboarding, the horde found its way to the airport bar. Two Scotch and Water doubles later, having seen all of one square mile of Hawaii scenery, (it was nighttime), I was back in my seat on that flying cattle car. So much for visiting paradise!

I've wanted to go back ever since. Other than one hapless soul that found herself arriving just before someone called
Iniki came to call, everyone that visits the "Aloha State" raves about it.
Like any other adventure, time, money, and inclination all have to come together to get me back to that airport at Honolulu.

The dates are November 1 through 8. As was the case with Destin, arrive early, stay late, if that
meets your needs. But the reason we are talking about this trip so far ahead of time is that we hope you'll block off the time, set the money aside, and begin leaning toward meeting the rest of us in paradise in November.

I have to say I'm PLEASANTLY SURPRISED...
I really thought this trip would be a budget buster.

Big Bubba is coming along with us. He booked tickets for us from Phoenix, round-trip, for less than $400 each. I purchased tickets to get us to Phoenix for less than $250 each. So the cost of 2 round-trip airfares for Sara Jean and me is less than $1,400!

On top of that, we're working on housing that one way or another is gonna knock your socks off!
Go
here and take a walk around the site. Bein' retired military DOES have it's perks! I can reserve rooms for all of us at the Navy Lodge Inn, overlooking Pearl Harbor. Looks like the cost of Suites with two Queen-sized beds is gonna be less than $90! (For those arithmetically challenged, that means $45 per night if two couples share a Suite, and we are actually looking at a couple of rental houses that will put all of us under one roof for considerably less than that!)

I just want to shout-
Don't dismiss this trip just because you think you can't afford it...

YOU CAN AFFORD IT!
How long have you wanted to visit Hawaii?
For me, it's been since I got a whiff of the air there in 1968.

I'm goin' back...
Wanta come along?


If you're on the fence, call or email me so I can do some convincin'!

5 comments:

The Joker said...

As much as I would love to go back to Hawaii, it’s not feasible for me at this time. However, I can attest to the beauty, adventure and exotic locales that await those of you who do go. I had the best time there (mid 70’s) and am envious of your trip this fall. If I had a scanner like GB, I’d scan a picture of the dune buggy we drove around in for a week while we were there. I still have a dress I bought in Honolulu: a neon/glow-in-the-dark green and yellow. LOL But I’ve since used up the cologne I bought called “Wicked Wahine” (pronounced wa-heeni).

My words of advice (and I think Golden Horse will back me up on this): watch out for the remote beaches and limit your Mai Tai’s.!!!!

the golden horse said...

GB
Good thought provoking letter. I do wish all could come that wants to. Nothing like sitting on the beach and reuniting with friends with all the time in the world and no time clocks to punch.
You know that moving water produces lots of negative ions that the Asians consider very important for well-being, relaxation and stress reducing.
Many use water fountains to help.

Joker...When you mention the cologne "Wicked Wahine" was that before or after the MaiTai's?? And was it really a cologne or you? I have never seen that here. Now you have me curious. I will be on the lookout for some for you.
As for the remote beaches, I sure hope you are speaking of beaches with shorebreak, cause the remote beaches for nude bathers, I gave up long ago, when all body parts went South. Nah, just pulling your leg, never used them and they are few and far between these days.

The Joker said...

The Wicked Wahine cologne was bought in an open air bazaar close to my hotel on Waikiki Beach. It didn't cost much but sure did smell good - and you're right it was 'after' the mai tai's. It was probably some cheap toilet water that smelled like dead fish, but with a few mai tai's -- who cares!

the golden horse said...

Joker,
You are too funny. You must mean the International Market Place. It is still there, alive and kicking. Great place for inexpensive keepsakes. We go through almost every trip to Waikiki. Now the cologne, that is another story, I bet.
You will be happy to know there is a huge MaiTai bar on the 4th floor of the Ala Moana Shopping Center that is so cool to sit in. Open air on all sides with food and entertainment often also. Good Ahi Sandwiches.

The Joker said...

GH,

YES! OMG! The International Market Place! I had forgotten the name of that place. At the time it was right next to our hotel and they had a band that played there in what "seemed" like ALL night. Even several stories up, we could hear that band. Anyhow, Yes, I did buy the Wicked Wahine at the Int'l Market Plc. Thanks for refreshing my memory. You're right they did have a lot of "cheap" souvouniers there.