Monday, August 20, 2007

IBook?



I'm lookin' for advice.
I've had my PC laptop for almost three years now. I seldom operate it on battery power, but the battery is completely shot now, and will have to be replaced at a cost of $140 or so. But there's another problem with it-
I've had a couple laptops before, and the achilles heel with the things seems to be the hinge that connects the monitor to the keyboard...
for some reason, (constant opening/closing?), the electrical connection there breaks down and the display on the monitor goes blank. That's happened to me twice, and in both cases the recommendation was to buy another computer rather than repair the old one. Now this machine is showing the initial signs of that happening again.

For years I've toyed with the idea of trying an Apple product.
Folks that use them are crazy for them! Apple truly has a crowd of "groupies" singing the praises of their machine.
Every time I get another email warning of some terrible virus that is gonna wipe out my central processor or erase my hard drive, I reconsider the Apple option. There are so few Apple computers out there, virus-writing monsters don't waste time writing bugs to eat their hard drives! (Apple users would also say their operating systems are superior and programs are written with fewer loopholes for virus-writers to exploit.)

So I'll ask... any VK's out there using an Apple product?
Care to voice your opinion?
How hard is it to leave the PC world and venture into Appleland?
Apples are supposedly VERY user friendly... how long will it take for me to feel as comfortable with it as I do pounding on this PC?

2 comments:

Samarpan David said...

I have used Apple products since 1986 (over twenty years now!) and have never had a virus. I don't even own anti-virus software. Never needed it.

The down-side in the early days was compatibility, but that was solved in the 90's when Microsoft began making "Office for Mac". Now I can create files with my Mac at home and open them with a PC at work or vice versa. (Unfortunately I am still working! I think I'd rather be retired).

With the recent iWork productivity suite I'm thinking I'll someday be less dependent on Microsoft products. I like Apple software. The Macintosh operating system is UNIX compliant and rock-solid. In fact, with software like Parallels, FusionWare, Bootcamp, etc. Apple can run Windows, Unix, Linux, and Mac OS X, so you can use 100% of the world's software (not just Windows).

Right now I see no downside to Apple. The products have not broken, last me for years, and are easy to use. They are so intuitive my techno-phobe wife is now creating movies and burning DVDs of grandkids!

I've never had a hard drive crash, Since they switched to Intel chips the iMac I use is fast, and the laptop I use is lightweight, thin, and, has never had bugs (since Apple makes both the hardware and the software). As Apple says, "it just works."

In summary, I will probably continue buying Apples, and I don't even mind paying bit more (though they have also become more price competitive for what you get), since I've never had mechanical problems, never had viruses, and they do everything I want them to do.

I'm going to have a glass of refreshing Kool-Aid now. Life is good with Apple.

:)

Purple Tabby said...

Goodness! Now I want one!!