Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Before & After Extreme Cleaning

This was me before cleaning out the garage, attic, the shed, all the closets, all the cabinets and chest of drawers

And this is after


As you can see it has NOT been a day at the beach.

If global warming isn't real, you couldn't prove it by my garage. If you really really wanted to fry eggs, I would recommend another place because they will burn in my garage.

I've taken so much junk to Goodwill, I know ALL the employees' names --- especially the ones who are still laughing at my clothes from the '70s . At least my hair was all one color then which is more than I can say for them! (who told them green hair was cute?)

I wake up in the night chanting the mantra: "Throw it Away, Give it Away or Put it Away". Purple Tom is not amused.

A small piece of advice: if you have a chore that includes mountains of boxes to sort, boxes chocked full of junk that is borderline junk/antique, do yourself a favor. Drag it all outside and use a flame thrower on the whole mess. Bring hot dogs and fix supper at the same time.

If you don't think that's a good idea, please review the photos above

Since I'm too tired to write anymore, I'm declaring the floor open to ANY and ALL discussions except cleaning.

(I changed the first photo Joker because I liked the swim suit better. The other one made my butt look too big ;)))

8 comments:

The Joker said...

umm, Betty Grable and I'll need a clue on the little girl. LOL

Gosh, we haven't had a guessing game in a long time. I wouldn't be able to participate anyhow cause I'm not on the computer that much right now. Have other priorities, but I check in periodically to see what everyone's been up to and haven't seen any "guess who" games happening.

When I cleaned out my garage & attic recently, I took the easy way out - I opened every box (and there were a lot)and if it looked interesting, I explored further and ended up taking out maybe 1 or 2 items; if it didn't look interesting, I moved to the next box. Most of these boxes had been closed up years (decades) ago and have moved with me or stored without ever being reopened. I called a friend and had him haul away at least 5 pickup truck loads and take to his garage sale. Told him "u haul it, it's yours."

Like you, PT, it was mostly junk and borderline antiques. I'd say I only kept about 10% and had the rest hauled away.

Purple Tabby said...

How are the puppies?

Samarpan David said...

PT,

Love your sense of humor!

And admire you stick-to-it-ness until you did it. Makes me feel both guilty and lazy, but at the same time inspires me to get up and get going simplifying and lightening up by throwing stuff out.

Asoka

Purple Tabby said...

Heck, Asoka. You have a kid who is a Prof. at Harvard. I'm pretty sure that lets you skate on extreme cleaning.

How is she doing, anyway? Is she able to understand their accent well enough to get around? Here in Texas, Yankees are required to take Texan As A Second Language classes at a dance hall. It’s a tough course, I’ll tell ya!

the golden horse said...

Gosh Joker,

I bet you had some hidden antiques in those boxes. At least some very cool stuff.
They do a neighborhood garage sale here twice a year and that pretty much keeps the closets clean.
I hope all is well with you.

PT

I totally admire you for your work ethnic and perserverance.
I bow to you. Aw, the treasures we find. As for the before and after pics, well, I find them pretty cool. I had no idea your hair was ever that long, and what a good idea to wear your prom tiara in the pic. I am trying to remember what school had that color combo.

Samarpan David said...

Thanks for asking. My daughter is doing fine... and it was an adjustment!

I don't remember if I told you she did her undergraduate work at TCU in Fort Worth... so there was definitely some culture shock arriving in New England... but all is well.

Purple Tabby said...

GH
The school with that color combo and dress code said "Special Education" on the front door. I think I was there for a long time

Asoka
Your daughter went from the purple halls of the Horn Toads to the crimson halls of the Ivy Leaguers !?!?! Holy Cow! I'd say she is bilingual for sure!

Y'all, don't get too enamored with my work ethic. There is a TV show that scared me into it-- the one that shows floor to ceiling junk. I was scared to death we would be on Cleaning with the Stars.

Besides, I’ve had to help with several funerals in the last 2-3 years (helping organize the family meals, get their house ready for company etc). I was mortified thinking of folks trying to find stuff in MY house without a map and maybe a BIO hazard suit.

It just had to be done and I doubt that I ever do it again. I think I’ve helped my “funeral folks” enough.

The Joker said...

Puppies are all gone. I cried on almost every puppy that left my house. Most of those who have one of my puppies (3 litters: 11 total) keep in touch and so far the people are extremely pleased with the puppies and remark on how smart they are. I'm down to 3 dogs now and I don't plan on anymore for a couple of years...or at least 1 year. Poor mama dog needs a break.