Friday, August 22, 2008

Sad News From Mr. L:

(Greybeard),

I was at a local hospital today getting tests, and got to talking to the lady that was administering my test, and she was the widow of Rocky Schienbein. His dad, Ed, was basketball coach there at some period while I was at CG. His dad left to coach basketball at Madison, IN around 1964. She said that Rocky graduated at Madison in 1964. I thought he might have been in your class. Rocky passed away in 2003 with throat cancer. I remember Rocky. I had him on my 6th grade basketball team, and all the girls were crazy about him. Thought you might want to place this on Vandy's kids...What a small world this place is? I was thinking about Ed not too long ago. He is retired and lives in Madison, IN.
Best to you and your wife.

Mr. L

Updated 23 August-
TwoDogs found an obituary in the Indy Star dated 11 March 2003:
Fred Rockne "Rock" Schienbein, 56, Madison, died Mar. 8, 2003. 
Arrangements: Morgan-Webster-Nay Funeral Home, Madison.

I've added Rocky to the memorial with his classmates.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

After thinking about the above, I feel l that Rocky left at the beginning of hua senior year 1964 at CG, and graduated with the class of 1965 at Madison, IN.
I left also at the second semster of 1964 from CG.
Rocky, I think was in Mr. Clashman's sixth grade, and was on my sixth grade basketball team
He was a nice kid.
His dad and mother are living at Madison, IN. I understand he left CG to coach Madison.
Best,
Mr. L

Anonymous said...

My mind was far out in the above. I meant to write =6th grade-Mr. Engleman was Rocky's teacher. I guess that I had one of those senior moments.
I enjoy reading Vandy's Kids. It keeps me up on the students that I had in my 7 wonderful years at CG. Believe it or not, I keep in touch with the CG bunch more than the students from the other schools that I taught.
Mary Lee and I always enjoy the CG Banquets.
Good to hear good things about you ALL.
Mr. L

Purple Tabby said...

It's hard for me to think of Rocky as a 56 y/o man and harder to think of what he went through before he died. His parents must be heartbroken. It’s just too sad.
For me, he will always be a super-cute, smiling boy from the 6the grade. He was such a nice boy. He lived in Bargersville near Marty, Billy and Ronnie G., and Jeanie B. The boys were together a lot. I remember one of them calling me while they played Monopoly – we talked through and entire game!! Can you imagine how much that pleased the other
members of my party line?

I must have thought of a dozen ways to keep his family from moving away -- none of them feasible but certainly heartfelt. I'm sure Flygirl and several others would have helped me if we had gotten together.

Did he have children? What kind of work did he do? I hope his life was happy. Maybe his widow would like to write about him on VK. Mr. L, do you know how to contact her?
Thanks for the news even if it’s sad.

Merryheart said...

Hello! My husband is a 1965 graduate of Edgewood High School, Ellettsville, Indiana, and is trying to locate former class members. Fred Rockne "Rocky" Schienbein played on the 1965 Edgewood basketball team with my husband. His father, Ed Schienbein, was principal at Stinesville School in our district. I'm confused to see that Rocky is claimed as a graduate by both Madison and CG. (?)
We were very saddened to hear of his passing. We'll mention him at the banquet in honor of the first EHS basketball Mustang team of 1965, which will take place in January, 2015.

Greybeard said...

Merryheart-
You're right to be confused.
Rocky DID NOT graduate at CG.
But he twanged the hearts of a couple of our female classmates and they've never forgotten him.

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Enjoy your banquet!