Wednesday, June 24, 2009

C.G. Teachers


Center Grove Art Teacher

Lloyd Ernest Huyser-Poston

Artist and educator, gardener and fine food aficionado, died on Friday, June 19, 2009. Born to Stanley and Gertrude Huyser in Holland, Michigan, on September 13, 1930, Lloyd graduated from Holland High School and earned a B.A. at Hope College, graduating as the first Art Major in the school’s history.

Lloyd’s education was interrupted by the Korean Conflict when he was inducted into the US Army and spent 1953-1955serving in the Far East with the C.I.A. Upon receiving an Honorable Discharge from the military, he moved to Indianapolis to attend John Herron School of Art, now part of Indiana University.

He began his formal career as an art educator, teaching at Floral Park High School, NYC, returning to Indiana a year later as he and his partner, Gene R. Poston, had decided to settle in Indianapolis. He continued his career in Art Education at Center Grove School Corporation, teaching in both the Middle School and High School.

He is survived by Gene R. Poston, his partner of over 52 years, his brother Earl Huyser, Ph.D. (Barbara) of Lawrence, Kansas, nieces and nephews and close friends Jack and Nancy Albright, Terry Lavering, and William G “Speed” Schumacher.

A Celebration of Lloyd’s Life will be held Saturday, June 27, 2009, at 11:00 am at Crown Hill Funeral Home, 700 West 38th Street, Indpls., IN. Visitation will begin at 10:00 am. Lloyd’s partner of 52 years and his family and extended family express deep appreciation for the many comforting expressions of love and support.

Memorial contributions in Lloyd’s name may be made to the Gene R. Poston Legacy Foundation, care of the IPS Educational Foundation, which provides scholarships and musical instruments to students at Broad Ripple High School, Indianapolis.

10 comments:

Rita said...

I remember Mr. Huyser, although not until you posted this. Seemed like a nice man.

Anonymous said...

i taught with Mr. Huyser before leaving CG. Thanks to Hawkeye for placing the obit on Vandy's Kids. During the years I had forgotten about him.
Mr. L

Anonymous said...

Thank you Hawkeye for posting this regarding Mr. Huyser. I would have missed it. He was always kind and tried to make an artist out of me the best he could. He didn't have much talent to work with when it came to me. I have often thought of him through the years.

Bo

Cissy Apple said...

This made me sick. I took art most of high school, but quit because I was tired of doing things like ashtrays. The flunkies took art for an easy credit so Mr. Huyser tried to accommodate them. However, I can't think in 3D.

During one class, we chose Dennis (think that was his name) Heidenreich as a model, and had him sit in a "modelistic" pose in the front of the class. I could draw like nobody's business, and soon had a drawing of Dennis that looked exactly like him.

Mr. Huyser had sat a few seats away from me and was also drawing Heidenreich. Some of the other students noticed my drawing and began coming by to see it up close. They kept remarking on how good it was and how it looked so much like Heidenreich. Finally, Mr. Huyser finished his drawing (which wasn't very good). He got up, took one look at my drawing, and walked away. He didn't say a word, but went to the desk he'd been sitting, picked up his drawing, wadded it up and threw it away.

I took that as a very good compliment. When everyone was finished, Heidenreich came over to see my drawing. He begged me for it, so I gave it to him.

If I can find his partner's address, I'll send him a card.

Rest in artful peace, Mr. Huyser.

Greybeard said...

What a shame to not know his history until he's gone...
First to graduate with a degree in Art...
Inducted into the Army and served with the CIA? (I'd like to know more about how that came about!)

I didn't enjoy Art, but that was no fault of Mr. Huyser. I considered him a nice, gentle man.

My kudos also to Hawk for keeping us informed.
Rest in peace Mr. Huyser.

Rita said...

Seems like all I can remember are those little paint jars they had. My favorite was the blue paint. Unfortunatly, Cissy got all the talent in my family. I'm sure Mr. Huyser never was impressed with my art work.

Hey, I wonder if C&C made his pizza man in Mr. Huyser's class. Now THAT was a classic.

Rest in peace Mr. Huyser.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Hawkeye for informing us of this.

When we had our get together at TC & Sharon's we were talking about the different classes that was in the middle building and was talking about the different teachers who were in that building and different funny things that happened in different classes.

Our art class was a hoot. Can't remember all who was in the class by name. But I do remember when some of the boys put super glue on his chair. He came in sat down and didn't notice a thing. That is until he started to get up. His pants stuck so thight to the glue that when he got up it tore a big place right out of the seat of his pants.

He never said a thing at first and then with out even cracking a smile said, "well, I have always wanted air conditioning in this building".

I remember one time there was a contest going on between all of the school for posters for Fire Provention Week. Believe it or not I won with my poster.

Echo

Cissy Apple said...

Yes, Rita...I'm sure that's where C&C sculpted his inspirational "Man Eating Pizza". Wonder what ever happened to it. Probably in the Guggenheim by now.

CnC said...

Cissy I resent what you said about the flunkies taking art class. I will have you know I majored in art. and some of my work is still talked about over 36 years later. Yes man eating pizza was a standout, but there were many other fine abstract works of mine. It was a shining moment when Vandy came into the class looked at Man Eating Pizza and said "Riley who is that supposed to be?" I very stupidly said, "well it's you Mel!" then I thought, ahh crap here I go again, another trip to the office. Instead of getting red in the face from anger, Vandy got red in the face with laughter. after all it was a good likeness.

Rita said...

Oh what I wouldn't give for a picture of "man eating pizza". It would make a great blog of C&C's "genius".