Friday, February 12, 2010

Not Just "Missy Cissy"-

Eyes wide open... it's still dark. What time is it?
I raise my head off the pillow to see the face of the alarm clock over the blonde head lying next to me... it's 2:30. Here we go again!

We push the doohickey on top of the thermostat all the way to the left before we go to bed, so the temperature in the house gradually drops to 50 degrees overnight. On top of this we have a floor fan stirring the air to make some white noise, so the wind chill in the bedroom could be even less than 50. At this temperature my 12 pound, furry, "living hot water bottle" finds it most comfortable to burrow beneath the covers and curl up in my crotch. So far she hasn't budged... another indicator that the room is mighty chilly.

Oh well. I'll lie here quietly. The waterbed is heated. My living hot water bottle is in place. I listen to Sara Jean snore... wait, that's a misnomer... HUM. It's actually a comforting sound, not irritating at all. Over the sound of the floor fan I hear the refrigerator motor kick on downstairs... my hearing surprises me sometimes... I'm not deaf to all frequencies quite yet.

We're half a mile from the railroad tracks. I hear the drumming of the big diesel locomotive idling. In the distance I hear the approach of another train. It reaches the crossing and blows the horn and I smile. In the wee hours of the morning the engineers cheat... they're supposed to blow "Loooonnnnnng, loooooonnnnnnng, short, loooooonnnnnng", sustaining the last long toot all the way into the crossing. At this hour, in deference to those living right next to the tracks, most of them pull the rope for their horns about halfway and get a half-volume toot. Sometimes their horns sound more like goats crying out for a mate. After this train passes, the engine I heard idling speeds up, then I hear another half-hearted horn bleating. He was waiting for the other train to pass so the track would be clear. Maybe one was going Northbound and the other South? I can't tell from my listening point, but I bet that was the case.

I gently raise my head and glance at the clock... 3:05.
The alarm to wake me will sound at 5:40... I have a dreaded day shift today. I lie and listen to the wind blowing outside and I'm glad I don't have to work in it. Twenty-five degrees with a 10 knot wind does not make me happy. Lying in bed next to this beauty with a loyal dog helping keep me warm is what makes me happy. The thought of having to get up while it's still dark outside is stressful to me, and is what is causing this insomnia.
Head raised... 3:47.

The last time I raised my head before dropping back into slumber the clock read 4:11. I woke five minutes before the alarm went off and took care of my bathroom needs before waking Sara Jean. She has a big day today and needed to be up early too.

Coffee.
Egg sandwich... yum!
Lunch bucket and thermos in the car, along with other work needs, I'm on the road a little after 6 A.M.. Flying weather this morning will be nice, but the forecast for this afternoon includes rain and snow... normal for this time of year.

At work my mechanic announces he has "phase inspections" to perform on the aircraft, and it will be "out of service" until Noon. We start the tug, attach it to the BK117, and carefully pull it into the hangar. When I finish this post and push "publish" I'll lie down and catch a nap...
Remember, "E.M.S." means "Earn Money Sleeping".
I hope you slept better than I did last night, but if not I hope you can make a little money today while taking a nap!

So let's hear about selling homes, giving away kitties, working out at the Y, doing the same old work for a "new" employer, recovering from the tragic loss last weekend, and anything else that might be happening to our beloved VK's.

10 comments:

Greybeard said...

I just went over to Rita's and read this.
If you're comfortable praying, Kevin needs your help.

TwoDogs said...

#1. We are praying for Kevin and his family. Sometimes, Life's trials are not fair and this one is off the chart. Miracles do happen and we are praying for one.

#2. GB, You need to start a book. You have a certain gift for telling a story that 'fits'.

#3. Continuing to pray for Kevin...

#4. Nothing new happening in our little corner of the world. V day is Sunday. Do you remember this 'holiday' when we were in School? In grade school. it seemed like it was a big deal. Was it for you?? Cinders, Will you be my Valentine?

Rita said...

Thx GB and TD. Kevin's caring bridge site is getting alot of traffic apparently the coach's visit has received some blogging attention.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kevinmassey

Greybeard said...

What a nice compliment, TD.
Again, participation at Vandy's Kids hasn't turned out quite the way I had hoped. It's nice now and then to hear my efforts are touching someone... anyone.

Anonymous said...

Well four days left in deer season. I will be glad when it is done. I'm glad I don't primitive weapons hunt I would be looking for new lodging.

We have added Kevin to our prayer list.

Dave I really enjoy the blog. Just watching and reading is something I look forward to each week.

We got your check today.
We have 6 couples but have room for more. "Ferdy"

I got my rods and reels set for April new line and hooks. Guess I will test them next week some time.

We saw snow on Friday. I do remember why we left Indy now. 3 of my sisters have been down since friday and going home tomorrow.

Will keep everyone posted on the weather. H&C

Cissy Apple said...

Insomnia...it worked for Edison and was one of the reasons he worked so diligently on the light bulb...or so I've read.

Years ago when trains constantly disected Loogootee, I'd lay awake all night and listen to the train whistles as they passed through. Each engineer had his own style of blowing the whistle. One was respectful of those trying to sleep and quietly and shortly tooted the familiar pattern as he approached each intersection.

Another seemed to angrily toot loud and long as he seemed to say, "I have to be up all night, so damn it...why should you sleep?" I never knew the names of these men, but I did know them by their whistle styles.

I'm in Arkansas with three members of CGHS class of 71. What a trip! I promise from now on to always stay close to my old CG friends. 38.5 years is an insanely long time to not see each other. Thank you, 65'ers, for allowing me to be a part of your lives and opening my eyes to the possibility of reconnecting with my old buddies.

We shed a few happy tears today and will shed some more tomorrow at Mona's wedding. She's marrying her soulmate. We met him tonight and it's plain to see how crazy they are about each other.

I plan on visiting my old friend as often as possible. The drive's an easy one, and goes especially fast with old friends in the car. How do you cram all that catching up in just a few hours? You can't...that's why we have to keep getting together just like you guys have done.

Bless all of you,
H

Anonymous said...

Hello to all,

This week end was mixed with GOOD NEWS and some really BAD heart breaking news. So let's go with the GOOD NEW first.

Two weeks ago on Wednesday I was coming back from the store and I passed a friends house and Tylnn was backing out of her drive way. I stopped to say hello and mentioned to her that we were thinking of selling our house. I knew they had been looking last summer in our sub division at a house that was for sale. She was very excited and said she would tell Brandon about the possibility and took my number. I came home and told Larry but neither of us go our hopes up. I mean with the market the way it is, and houses being on the market for so loing, what were our chances !!! This was Wednesday, on Friday we received a call and they wanted to come and see the house on Saturday. On Monday they called and said they were going to check with their bank that they were really interested. On Friday we got a call that they had confirmed that they could get financing and could they come back on Saturday that they wanted to MAKE US A OFFER.

10 days - from the time I first talked to them and they have made us a offer. Our heads are still spinning.

So today I am calling the realtor in Florida to make an offer on the house down there. IF they accept our offer we could be Florida home owners in the near future. So keep all those fingers, toes and legs crossed and say some prayers for us.

We still can't believe all of this could be happening in a matter of weeks. God DOES listen to our prayers. If you put things into HIS hands and then have faith in his powers wonders can happen.

Now for the BAD NEWS. On Sunday I got a double whammy. I have two older brothers that you may not know about. Bob is 73 years old and Buddy is 78 years old. Bob called to tell us that he just found out that he has lung cancer. It is in his left lung and is a huge 14 cm. They have told him that diagnosis is that it can not be operated on. And the same day I found out that Bud has had kidney failure and is on kidney dialysis. This of course is bad news in itself, and he just had a pace maker implanted last summer.

So again I am going to ask for your prayers, both for my two brothers and for Shifty and me. Remember once you prayer to God and put things into HIS hands you have to move on and believe that HE will lead the way.

GB, reading your posts are so up lifting. You really missed your calling. Instead of a pilot you should have been a writer.

Love to all,

Echo

TwoDogs said...

Echo & Shifty - Congrats on the house deal(s). Does this mean that the Fall Mini will be somewhere in Florida? Just give us the street address; we'll be there!

Praying for the very best outcomes for your brothers.

Anonymous said...

Hey Echo!
Sounds like good things comin' your way! Hope it all goes well for you and Larry.

I've been thinking about you and your brothers. So sorry you got that bad news. Praying that the doctors will get them well.

Bo

Top Cat said...

Harry next year I will be down to do some deer hunting with you. We will discuss in April. Hope you get one yet this year. I have my fishing gear ready also just got my order from Bass Pro, new baits. Echo hope the houses all work out great time to be buying houses. Sharon and I looked at two more this weekend. They will be selling at the Sheriff sale soon. She says she will kill me if I buy another house but if the price is right you can't pass them up. We just bought the farm out from Sharons sister so we now have two homes up there. We gave the new log home to our son Scott to use and we will have Sharons dads house some day. He's 88 and I hope he makes it to 100. Scott and I have been going up alot of weekends working on the place and it is really looking good. Sharons dad is able to get out with us in the golf cart and watch us work. We've been clearing alot of trees and brush having a fire and roasting hotdogs for lunch its been a great joy working together. TD it looks like you and I are on the same time table to retire, January of 2012. I'm just afraid Cindy and Sharon may kill us if were home all the time. Of course I guess I could take more trips to hunt, fish and play golf so I'm not under her feet. GB I'm so glad you work so hard at keeping the blog going I read it almost daily I'm just not much of a writer you are great writer any everyone else who participates thanks. Has anyone heard from Patsy about maybe being in Eufala with cap? How about John Tieke and Barb? See you guys soon.