Thursday, March 11, 2010

vacations

Moribund?
Dormant, maybe, but not moribund (I hope).

Anyhow, I haven't been on in awhile and then I find I'm listed as dormant & moribund.
Ha ha. I don't mind, at least I'm not alone.

I have a little story about Lake Eufaula, it goes like this:
My ex-husband has relatives in Southern Georgia and every year (sometimes twice a year) he and his fishing buddies would take his bass boat and head to Eufaula and stay with his cousins. They caught tons of bass. He would take the video camera and tape the dead fish they caught lying on the picnic tables. A simple picture would suffice, but he had to use the video of dead fish lying there! Then all summer, here in IN, he would go fishing on weekends at Lake Monroe, Patoka Lake, or wherever he heard the fishing was good. He even entered contests.
I was never asked to go to Eufaula, not that I would have anyhow, but it would have been a nice vacation for me and the kids.

Meanwhile, my sister-in-law (she being a single mom of 2) and I, with my 2 kids, would make a yearly trip to Disney World in Orlando. Now, don't you think a husband & wife should take vacations together? Especially when they have kids? In the whole 18 years I was married, I think we took, maybe, 4 or 5 vacations as a family.

I'm not trying to be a downer and I'm sure Eufaula is beautiful; all I saw of it was a video of dead fish lying on a picnic table, but I just had to put my 2 cents worth in. Ha!
I hope you all have a wonderful time, really. But for me Eufaula leaves a bad taste in my mouth and is definitely one of the reasons I am no longer married.
Joker

4 comments:

Cissy Apple said...

Yeah, I never understood why people take photos of cakes at birthday parties and such. For God's sake, it's a damned cake! Take photos of the people that came to the party. Snap a few of the person being celebrated--not a stupid cake! At least include the celebratee in the cake photo!

After the death of my father-in-law, nobody wanted to take home the boxes of old photos. I ended up with them. So far, I've trashed a few thousand photos of headless people, unknown babies, quilts, cakes, floral arrangements, blurred shots, and such.

Videos of dead fish. Maybe I should take my video camera so I could take some footage of dead fish in HD.

Greybeard said...

Dormant? I like that much better, Joker. What a pleasurable thing to go to your blog and see new thoughts posted there! I try to run down our "Blogroll" now and then, and it's kinda depressing... And it's a time waster, clicking on the blogs there only to find the last published post was two years ago. Tagging the blogs as Dormant/Moribund makes it easier to check on the blogs that still have a heartbeat. Obviously I hoped labeling them might also motivate the owners to do a little care and feeding...
No offense was meant and I hope none was taken.

We've missed you here! Glad you're back.

When you fall off a horse, what's the recommendation I recall hearing so often? I'm sorry Lake Eufaula stirs bad memories. But are the bad memories of the lake? Do you have bad memories because of the fish? I might be so bold as to suggest your bad memories are there for a different reason, and maybe "getting back on the horse" might be just what the Doc ordered. I can assure you the lake IS beautiful. I can also guarantee you there will be laughter, shared memories, and comfortable conversation overlooking the lake for the better part of a week, and you'll have fond memories to replace the negative ones you now have...
Think of breakfast over Geist Reservoir, only more relaxed and with more classmates. Does that idea tempt you? We can make it happen.
Pull the trigger, girl!

The Joker said...

GB,
No offense taken, I just lead a pretty boring life right now and I have nothing much to say in my blog, but mostly every time I sit down and try to come up with something, I get writers block.

The bad memories are of my ex-husband. Believe me, the story just goes on and on, I just told a short version of it. I’ve never seen Lake Eufaula, so I really have no memories of the lake…….

But….here’s a WARNING for all those that go go . . . Beware . . . . .
There are definitely ALLIGATORS in that lake. Although nobody brought back a picture of one (imagine that) all the guys that went on those fishing trips claimed they saw them.

I know if I go to Lake Eufaula with all you, I would have a wonderful time, but it’s not in the cards right now. I know you will have a great time, as you always do.

The Joker said...

Cissy,

I hear ya loud and clear!
But pictures aren't as bad as a video of something that is just lying there. Why waste a video tape of somthing that's not moving. I'll never understand.
Oh, and guess who got the video camera in the divorce decree?
Not me!