Friday, May 14, 2010

1977


I landed the Huey at the Greenwood airport and my folks came over to get my copilot and me. When we got home Mom said "Try this!" Two sitting chairs, side by side, faced the TV with a table in between. On the table was a sort of console with two devices attached to it by wire. On the devices was a circular controller.
Mom turned the thing on and an image similar to the one above came onto the TV screen. My copilot and I played "Pong" and laughed out loud at how much fun it was.
Mom still has the game. As one of the first of the video games, it probably has collector value now.

Today the video games are so complex, folks actually devote more time to them than they do to their real lives.
What a world.

1 comment:

TwoDogs said...

Were there different versions of Pong? I used to love to play a tennis type game that looked a lot like Pong. That must have been Pong. I look at some of the games today and am just amazed at the genuis that must be there to develop some of these games...And then I go back to playing Free Cell.....Years ago, some of the local restaurants/bars had Pong in their lounges. If you were a 'game player' back then - other than the Pin Ball machines, there wasn't much else.. Then there was Pac Man.
Simpler times, for sure!!!