Friday, July 23, 2010

Rasslin'


Cowboy Bob Ellis...
Dick the Bruiser...
Bobo Brazil...
Do you remember 'em?

I do.

I was never really a "rasslin'" fan.
But Saturday afternoons would frequently find Steve B., Hawkeye, and me jumpin' into the old Ford Station Wagon and Mom would drive us North on Bluff Road to the WTTV broadcast offices. We'd arrive early, 'cause those first in line got the ringside seats...
And that was the whole reason for the exercise...
The matches were recorded for broadcast on Sundays.
On Sunday we'd sit at home and catch glimpses of ourselves ringside at "the match" on Channel 4.

Of course the faces have all changed...
Are any of those guys still alive?
The sport itself hasn't changed much though, except there's a lot more money in it these days.
I doubt kids these days can go to their local TV station and watch an hour of rasslin' free!
(We grew up in a better time!)

It's Friday.
Are you rasslin' with anything?
Anyone?

8 comments:

CnC said...

Baron von raschkes, daughter taught art at center grove, she was my art teacher and very cute!

Hawkeye said...

I remember Bill F. went with us one time and he was laughing at some woman telling her the blood was all fake. She told him she would take her high heel to his head and show him what blood looked like. That shut him up.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Johnny Whitaker and his white high top boots. Then there was Ken Lyn (the announcer) short wavy haired with a mustache. That is, HE (Ken) had the mustache, not his hair.


dj

Anonymous said...

The big question is was the Crusher really Dick the Bruiser's Cousin?

I remember watching on Saturday nights (after some channels had gone off the air) the reruns of matches in Chicago with Lou Thes? (really bad ears) and Gorgeous George with his long blond hair in his leopard robe with the fur collar and a bunch of people throwing "stuff" in his direction. Seems like I would usually fall asleep before the match was over.


dj

the golden horse said...

I also remember the Schyer (sp) brothers. The two guys with the white hair.

Anonymous said...

Hey GH, good ol Roy (short fatter one) and Ray the younger brother, they were from Georgia and sometimes wore the trunks with the rebel logo on the behind along with the rebel jackets (I think). Thanks for the memory, I had to smile thinking of those two and their sneaky ways. Bad Boys from the very beginning!

dj

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Wilber Snyder

dj

the golden horse said...

DJ
I have no idea how I even thought of those two guys. It must have been a flash back to the days when there were limited TV programs on Saturday nights.
I remember around the country older women were so tuned into wrestling back then.