Friday, August 13, 2010

"Then Came Bronso... er... Greybeard"



You may remember the TV show "Then Came Bronson".
It debuted just about the time I got home from Viet Nam and the idea of a single guy motoring around the Nation on a bike appealed to me...
It was sort of a "Route 66" on two wheels. I liked the show and watched it regularly, but was disappointed in the fact that as usual, Hollywood mucked it up...
Bronson went motocrossing on his Harley Sportster, AND WON!
From that point on I watched the show partly to see how hokey the producers could make it. Others must have felt the same as me, 'cause the show lasted only one season.
Still, the music was good, as were the scenes of Bronson crossing the country on two wheels.

And there was another reason I liked the show...
Ron and I had made a Road Trip to Ft. Lauderdale in his big Pontiac Bonneville convertible the summer between our Junior and Senior years at CG, and we enjoyed the adventure. On the way home we discussed the possibility of taking an across-the-country road trip on Harley-Davidson "Dressers". We fantasized about the experiences we'd share... the two of us together riding to points unknown... wherever the wind would lead us, meeting wonderful, interesting people... stopping to work at odd jobs just long enough to buy enough gas to make it to our next exotic destination.

We were quite aware that actually doing it would take a chunk of change at the start...
Buying a Full-dress Harley would, for me (not him!), be daunting. Even a good used "HOG" would take the outlay equivalent to a VERY GOOD used car, and I was still working for minimum wage at the Frostop at the time.

My Mom expressed concern about the dangers of riding that far on two wheels but she needn't have worried...
It quickly became obvious that Ron's interest in his future bride would eliminate any hopes I had about the two of us riding up on our bikes and peering over the rim of the Grand Canyon.
I never saved a dime toward buying the big bike.

But I still dream of such a trip...
And Sara Jean and I MAY ACTUALLY DO IT...
(In a 28 foot motor home!)

HAPPY FRIDAY THE 13TH!
Got news?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea, I didn't know that you and Ron went to Florida in that blue Pontiac! It took all these years to learn that; so I guess that's news. I loved that car!

Clint and I went to the church that Gary started many years ago in his house last last Sunday. Now that sentence sounds like the church is still in Gary's house, but it isn't. The church has grown and is in a huge brick building now. Gary and Martha's son is the pastor. His voice is exactly like Gary's! Thank goodness he looks like his mother....HA!!

Bo

Anonymous said...

After all these years I made contact with Martha and Gary. We talked nearly an hour. Martha reminded me that while teaching her that I was a guest for dinner in her parent's home in the Critchfield Addition. Memories still keep coming to me from former CG students that I once taught. Hopefully some time I can visit with Martha and Gary.
Mr. L

Anonymous said...

GB, It is not riding cross country, but in 78 when I moved down to Chipley. I bought a Yamaha to ride back and forth to Indy on the week-ends. It was just 700 miles. The most chilling trip was one of the first ones. It had been 90 degrees that day. I worked a 12 hour shift, had a small bag (change of clothes). I headed north. By the time I was at the Tenn and Al line it was below freezing ( wind breaker only). I ran thur a speed trap ( a little over 80) just to get stopped so I could get warm in the back of the trooper's car. They didn't stop me. By the time I got to Indy I had all the clothes I had with me on. It was not enough. When I headed back Sunday I had a new snow-mobile suit on. By the time I got back to same Tenn and Al state line I was so hot. I shopped at the rocket and removed a suit. As soon as the family moved down I bought a 4X4 with gun rack in the window. I love the sound and had a good time riding. Please be carful you do not heal as fast as you use to H of H&C

Greybeard said...

H of H&C-
I rode three times between Savannah Georgia and Indy when I lived down there. The last time I did it was, putting it conservatively, INTERESTING.
Seven hundred miles is a long ride even on the most comfortable of motorcycles, since you are assaulted with noise and vibration continuously and can't really change your seating position like you can in a car.

Changing weather conditions...
I once rode an un-faired bike from Gainesville, Florida back to Savannah (4+ hours) in 20 degree weather because I had to get back to work. I was wearing so many layers of clothes I looked like the Sta-Puf Marshmallow man!

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear you got a great new bike that you will enjoy with Sara Jean.

I know that you are like Clint and don't fear much but I have to ask you to protect that wonderful brain and Superman body of yours! No kiddin' kid. Has the lovely Sara Jean been on a ride with you yet? I'm a nosy classmate aren't I?

As fate would have it, I fell in love with Clint who loves motorcycles, race cars and airplanes. Maybe he reminded me of a few of my best guy friends.

Ronnie took me on a ride on Morgantown Road when we were about 16. He didn't slow down for anything...matter of fact he just kept going faster. I think I kissed the ground when we finally
stopped.

Bo

Anonymous said...

Dear H of H&C,
That sounds like one interesting trip....from hot to cold then back to hot on a motocycle. Cheap transportation but I don't know how you guys did that. You're a lot tougher than me that's for sure. I would have cried! HA!

You're a good man.

Bo