Sunday, March 13, 2011

Benny

So many years have passed, it's tough to remember...
I went to my first CG Alumni Banquet in either '81 or '82. I bought tickets for the dinner and the after dinner get-together. The dinner was early... I remember it was still light outside when I sat down to eat... alone. I was maybe halfway through my meal when he approached and asked if he could sit with me...
"Hi, remember me?!! I'm Benny!"
How could anyone forget Benny?
Short in stature, huge in personality and presence, Benny.

I was glad not to be alone.
As you might imagine, Benny did most of the talking, but he wasn't inconsiderate...
He listened too.
I mentioned my Viet Nam service and the fact I was still in the ARMY Reserve.
That gave Benny the chance to brag about his NAVY service, and he had good reason to brag...
He had been selected to serve on "Old Ironsides"...
The U.S.S. Constitution, the museum and oldest commissioned ship in the U.S. Navy. That was a prime job... a job the NAVY would not have given to just anyone. His obituary says everyone who attended Benny's tours of the ship said he was exceptional.
I have no doubt that is true.

I didn't know Benny well. I worked with his sister Julene at the Frostop and loved her, and through that association knew the rest of her family well enough to smile and wave.
I knew Benny well enough to know I liked him.
And I'm sad to know he's gone.

So many posts in a row dedicated to sadness...
And our country and the world in a mess...
We need a collective pick-me-up, don't we?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew Benny through sports. His older sister (Marie?) was in my sisters class, and their house was one of the first ones we looked at in the Valley before we eventually moved to Morgantown Road address, I think their house was blue with white trim, but even at the young age I thought the older sister was cute. Of course I NEVER said anything, Don't remember Benny from that visit, but I of course remember him from school and football (I played a couple of years before they started cross country) and Benny was Competitive but a funny and good kid as I recall. And lord knows that if Something (anything) was going on of interest, Benny would be in the thick of it, if he was around. God bless him and all of the family.

And GB, I'm with you on the pick-me-up . . . suppose to be warmer this week with a little sunshine . . . That's a start !!!!!! (And thanks GB for the post)


Best to all the V-Kids out there
dj

the golden horse said...

Yes, too many sad things is a row, but I remember Benny as always having such a smile on his face. For everyone. That's how I will remember him and my heart goes out to the family.
What a class act for the Navy.

TwoDogs said...

Thank You,GB for posting this about Benny. Like you and DJ, I did not know that Benny well. What I did know about Benny, I liked alot. I am sorry that he is gone so soon. The family(s) will miss a good son and brother, husband and father and grandpa.

Rest In Peace Benny!

Anonymous said...

I was shocked to see the news about Benny. So SAD; nice, nice guy. What's going on with all this bad news? Getting scary. I'm sure some of you remember Sandy Ruoff. Her dad passed away last week. (More bad news)

AND my Clint was admitted to St. Francis hospital Saturday with severe diverticulitis. He's getting better; or at least he says he is, hard to tell with him. He tends to let pain go way to far before getting help. Oh, by the way, there was a nurse who asked him if people told him that he looks like Clint Eastwood! HA! So, I guess some other people think that too. I married Buddy Holly and he morphed into Clint Eastwood somehow.

It's time, past time, that we all get down on our knees and pray for one another and our families. We've got to hold on to each other.
Can't take much more of this sad stuff....time for happy times.

Love,
Bo

CnC said...

Amen brother on needing a pick-me-up, yes DJ the weather here today is a great start!