Saturday, May 21, 2011

Mayfest


The peonies are in bloom and to me that means something else is goin' on...
It's RACE time!

But how it's changed, huh?
Most of us here can remember when the entire month of May, (once the Kentucky Derby was complete), was devoted to the Indianapolis 500...
Practice.
Carburetion day.
A weekend of qualifying.
More practice.
Another weekend of qualifying.
The 500 festival parade.
And the race itself.

I watched qualifications today on a cable channel and I cannot even tell you now which one it was. The stands looked empty. I don't know if that was because rain was threatening the proceedings or if others are like me... angry that we can no longer carry coolers to our seats and make a family picnic out of "Pole Day".
I suspect the answer is... a little of both reasons.

But the race has lost its luster as "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing" in my eyes.
You can use any engine you want so long as it's the same Honda engine your competitor is using. Pretty much the same applies to chassis... are there still two manufactures making those?

It's a mess. I hope someone takes a look at the path that got us here and makes some dramatic changes.
If they don't, there'll be a chance the Brickyard 400 will start attracting a larger crowd.
(But they're also all using the same chassis/bodywork, and the engines, although made by different manufacturers, are as nearly identical as NASCAR can make them.)

Indy used to be exciting.
Someone needs to figure out how to make it exciting again.

5 comments:

the golden horse said...

You mean the racing of the clones?
No excitement here any more.
I grew up at the 500. Dad owned the Standard station across from the main entrance and he lived for the month of May. He would be so sad to see what it has come to.
Where is a good Novi when you need one?

Greybeard said...

I was watching "Bump Day" coverage today (and paid attention this time... it was on the Vs. Channel).
During the rain delay they covered the changes coming in the cars next year. Dallara will produce next year's chassis. The front of the cars, from the driver's tub forward, will be identical. Teams will apparently be allowed to experiment with the car's rear... allowing for different engines, suspensions, and aerodynamic treatments.

So maybe there IS hope for the race/series in the future.
Nothing would please me more.

Anonymous said...

After being away for 25 years from Indiana I thought it was a treat again to watch over the weekend the 500 qualifications on Versus TV. It gave me an opporunity to learn of the new way of qualifications. I grew up listening to the 500 Mile Race on the radio with the Blue Crown Specials, then in later years attending qualifications ,and attending one 500 in 1959. Yes, it has changed in format through the years but when you hear the opening each race day I still get goose bumps. Yes, the cast has changed of race drivers and the cars but there is only one Indy 500in my book. Things change through the years just as high school basketball being changed too. One Sunday a year I stay home from church, and that is race day.
Mr. L
PS While living in WV and to learn about the 500 each year I got my students involved giving them extra bonus points for their grades by bringing in articles they found about the INDY 500, and then drawing names of drivers each year.I kept up with the 500 news and got kids interested in the 500.

Anonymous said...

Good job Mr. L !!! Hey GB, I didn't hear or see VS channel, looked for coverage, but was in and out most of the day so I relied on old WIBC for results. Earlier on in the year they were saying that the tubs would be the same and made by Dallara (at a new plant in speedway, with the town of Speedway opening a new entrance to Main Street and new Main Street fronts for businesses). First time they have ever mfg'd outside Italy, but originally both the front and rear could be different; with up to 4 four different designs to be available eventually. New engine mfgr's for 2012 to be Chevy and Lotus, so maybe different "kits" for each engine manufacturer and one by Dallara? Here's a good spot to go to Indycar that .com has /2012 updated info straight from the man in charge . . . apparently things are changing everyday but it sounds like 2012 could be a really exciting year for open wheel racing . . . And YES, a return to the days . . . . or at least some new 'old' kids on the block again! Best to all, and s Special thanks to those who served, and to be remembered on Memorial Day.

Can't wait to hear Jim sing "Back Home Again" Then the goose bumps come again don't they Mr. L?

I apologize in advance for any guidelines I didn't follow in this post.

dj

Anonymous said...

Mr. L,
So good to hear that you got to watch the qualifications on TV. Sounds like the eye surgery went well, I have been thinking of you.
Proud of you teaching the West Virginia students the Indy 500 lessons! They'll always remember you I'm sure.

Bo