Friday, January 18, 2013

"The Morris Plan"

Did I pay more attention to TV advertising than most?
Maybe.
Because today I was thinking of 
"The Morris Plan". I mistakenly thought it was a now-defunct old Savings and Loan. (Does "Railroadmen's Federal Savings and Loan" still exist in any form?)

But "The Morris Plan" is a bank, and it's still in business.
Based in Terre Haute, it was founded by an attorney who was truly trying to help the little guy gain access to loan money.

Good for him. I'm glad the company is still in business.
You can read a little of their history here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey GB, Thanks for the Post. I'll add more tomorrow morning, but I Do remember the old Morris Plan office close to southern plaza on the opposite side of the street (close to crossroads lincoln?) I tink they used to call that a run-on sentence in 8th grade english class . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Later, dj

the golden horse said...

Goodness, that is a name from the past. I remember many years ago, my parents had an account there. Good to hear they are still around. Go little guy.

Rita said...

Wow. I sure thought they were long out of business. Since I was in banking long before the mega-banks I sure remember Morris Plan. I even remember the corners they occupied.

Anonymous said...

I can remember more than once, (we still lived on Delaware St in Indpls.) when the car needed tires, there was a house repair that HAD to get done and something else had come up unexpectedly . . . and mom would say something like "Well, we don't want to, but we think maybe we need to go see the people at Morris Plan and get a consolidation loan to get things cought up". And as I recall, there would often be an extra 10-20 dollars figured in for somekind of special treats , just for good measure. As I recall, they would get like a little coupon book for payments (or installments) and usuall get it paid off in 12 to 18 months. I think back then, most of the family, aunts / cousins etc. was familiar with Morris Plan and it was kind of a way to "get caught up". Life was simplier then, but then again, I didn't have to come up with the monthly installments either !!!!!! And a summer vacation day lasted forever, if you got up early enough!
dj


And God Bless Dave W. RIP