Monday, January 20, 2014

"Bust Your Buns", and a Plea For Memory Help:




I think this song was the impetus for many of us to try "sidewalk surfing".
We removed the steel wheels from a set of "clamp on your shoes" roller skates and attached them to a 1X6 board we had cut to about a twenty-four inch length.
Steel wheels on paved surfaces... little traction meant for a lot of slippin' and slidin' around.

Just North of "Walker's Department Store" there was this hill.
A couple of us dared one another to negotiate it.
At the time, it SEEMED frighteningly steep.
No helmets. No knee pads. No elbow pads. Nevertheless, we careened down this sucker on our boards.

The last time I was at a "Cruise Night" at "The Suds", I made sure to go by and have a look at this hill...
It IS steep, and we were CRAZY to go down it on those homebuilt hazards.
They now have several pipes embedded at the top to prohibit auto traffic from going down, but courageous, (or insane!) skateboarders could (and I bet still do) brave this incline. Of course, their boards are longer, have neoprene wheels, and are MUCH more controllable than our stupid contraptions.

It's been on my mind a lot lately, driving me crazy...
The guy I did virtually all my sidewalk surfing with was killed in the motorcycle accident on Hwy 135 in late summer of '64 that also killed Jimmy Mc.
Rick... (N?)

Help me.




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't help with the lingering mystery, but I do love to hear the song again. What summers we had, and didn't know how great they were. I didn't do any surfing as such on the sidewalks. I was too busy building dams and creating "swimming areas" in the creeks that ran thru our ten acres. That and getting to learn how to ride "POCO" with no reins (in hand). Well, It's out the door to shovel snow before I head to the barn to shovel some more . . . . .

Best to all you Vker's

dj

Anonymous said...

Ah !!!!! 70 dgrees mild and sunny here in Indy this morning. What's it like in your part of the world?


d

j

Greybeard said...

That must be the "Kelvin" scale or something similar, DJ.
Glad to hear it.
Now, I assume you have a bridge to sell?

up, down & charmingly strange said...

You are trying to remember Rick Norman and he is still very much alive. He survived that bike crash although poor Jim didn't. I shared some old times with him at the '66 45th reunion year before last.

I was at "Dead Man's Hill" one night in 63 when some Greenwood kid lost it and got a compound fracture of his lower leg - Cops, an ambulance and lots of blood. I think that they banned skateboards on that hill shortly thereafter.

Anonymous said...

I remember Gene Rund skate boarding down a hill in Brown County State park, on a senior picnic. I never could ride one Gene was good and fast
HF

Greybeard said...

"Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."
Thanks Dan.
Sorry Rick!

(I'm not surprised to hear the compound fracture story...
That hill was MEAN.)

Anonymous said...

GB, no bridge for sale; but forecasting mid to high 50's this coming week (that's for Indianapolis, not Florida). However, I did shovel a little snow the over past few days.
Moved the horse to MUCH BETTER accommodations . . . nice to go to the barn and expect to find positive things . . . amazing, clean stalls and plenty of hay . . .
horse relaxed enough to stand there and yawn while he's being brushed. Sunny and Warmer coming up.

Question: I have heard conflicking info about the class of '64' 50th class reunion. Anyone know Date and Time for this event?

Hope all is well in your world.

d
j

Anonymous said...

Hi out there !!!!!!!


.

.

. .

Anonymous said...

How's everyone doing? It's been a long cold winter. Been staying busy in my retirement. Been retired from Inland almost two years in May. Of course started my own company still selling boxes. Been very good. Work about 10 hours per week on that. The rental property has been good also. I'm looking at buying another house Sharon's ready to shoot me. But the rental business is good. We get calls every month people wanting to know if we have anything available. Sharon's really ready to shoot me now I just put my hat in the ringer to run for County Commissioner. I'm unopposed in the Primary but will be pushing hard for the fall election. I'm running on the Republic ticket. Been going to dinners and other mtgs. Been going 24-7 no time to get board. Hopefully we can get together this spring for an outing. Everyone take care. Top Cat