Monday, January 23, 2006

The Isetta Story. A Dream?

That little blue and white thingy is an Isetta.
A four wheel motorcycle, really.
Made by BMW, we used to make fun of it by saying,
"Isetta, on the ground."
Unfortunately, it's an Isetta, not a Siat 500.

So, herein lies the tale of how my memory failed me.

I was just sure that Purple Tabby had owned a car like this one....
My memory was that it even had this paint scheme.
Tom T. and I came down to the parking lot after school to find this car parked between our cars, a '55 Chevy and a '55 Ford.

With the help of four other guys, we picked the car up and turned it sideways, leaving precious little room to maneuver and drive away.

My memory is that PT came down, and with us watching from around the corner, pitched a fit, then hemmed and hawed the little Isetta around until she escaped.
Neat story, huh?
Only PT says she never owned an Isetta. Her little car, similar in size,
was a Siat (Spanish Fiat.....Fiat in Spanish is apparently naughty) 500.

So now I need your help solving a mystery:
Anyone remember this little Isetta? If so, who was the owner we tortured?

Or is my memory completely screwed up........
Did we in fact turn PT's Siat 500 sideways?

I distinctly remember that front opening door.
Gotta be the Isetta.

2 comments:

the golden horse said...

Gosh, that rings a bell, but for the life of me, I can't remember who had that car. Gotta go deep to remember that one.
I, too had a 55 chevy, burgandy and white with duel glasspacks. Got stopped most everything I went into Ipls, cause they would echo off of the buildings and I would innocently look up and tell the cop , "no sir, I didn't put glasspacks on my car", of course my dad it.
Before that car I had a 48 Plymouth that was only driven by a little ole lady on Sundays, yeah right. Well, one day Diana D. and I were backing out of Steve S. driveway when the accelerator stuck and Diana and I both were on the floor trying to pull it back up. Like that was the cure for it.
Well, there we were backing down towards the Beehive in high gear when I thought to turn it off. You can imagine the looks I got on that one. After that, I learned how to get under the hood and rehook that little accelerator wire. Ahh, never a dull moment in the Valley.

Purple Tabby said...

Well, Greybeard, it would seem that no one else remembers the Isetta either.

A couple of things that make me think is was a dream:
1) If I had ever owned a BMW, I'm pretty sure I would have remembered. Daddy would NEVER have gone for that.

2) It was grey, had the finest red plastic interior money could by and it had two doors,,, one on each side. The handles were toward the front, though (I think)

The reason I think that is I remember trying to get my Grandmother in and out of the car,,, it was a real trick. She was a little on the butterball side.

HOW-SOME-EVER, I DO remember that many times my car was in a different place at the end of the school day than it was that morning.

I always blamed Lanny D (my neighbor and my brother’s partner in crime) But now I'm thinking he was totally innocent all these years! Imagine that!

Confession is good for the soul, Greybeard, and I'm so glad you have had this opportunity to get right in the light, so to speak. ;)