Friday, January 20, 2006

The Thermostat


I was lucky enough to stop riding the school bus when I was a freshman.
I rode to school with Bill F. until he graduated, then drove my own car, stopping to pick up John T. on my way.



We'd drive into that parking lot where the class of '65 is standing in the '65 Trojan yearbook.....("We're all for you, CGHS!")

From there, we'd climb the hill and enter the back door of the gym.
Habit meant that I would always bear to the left to go around the gym floor.
On the wall, just past the concession stand, was a thermostat.
I don't know who did it first....certainly not me.....
but we found that if you hit the wall adjacent to the thermostat forcefully, it would HISS at you for a couple seconds!

It became a daily morning ritual.

Weird memory.

(Stay tuned, I'm gonna tell a Purple Tabby "Isetta" story later.)

1 comment:

the golden horse said...

Gosh, what memories, you mentioned Bill F. I used to have the biggest crush on him my Soph year. We used to go do Gwood for hamburgers, which was a task, since he was always working on his car. Kind of hard to date a monkey wrench.
Remember the Christmas tree our class cut for the school one year. Biggest dang thing to hit the gym, not enough to decorate it and kinda ugly, but we thought it was great, Vandy sure didn't though. There were those looks again.
He was a great principal and I admired him greatly, he always teased me unmercifully. Woodie was the one I was scared of. Talk about a loud whistle and booming voice. Whew.