Thursday, January 19, 2006

That Perfect Fit

Vandy's was Margaret. We all have them. Some of us haven't found ours yet. Keep looking, They are out there. I have found mine. Her name is Cindy. John C. found his. Her name is Dorothy. Greybeard has his. Her name is Sara Jean. T.C. and Sharon, P.T. and Mark, Harry and Carol. I know that Golden Girl found her perfect compliment a few years ago. His name is Ken. Larry has found his. Her name is Kitty. Dan has his. Her name is Edna. Sometimes they last forever, sometimes not. Cherish the time that you are able to spend with them. Sometimes, they are that perfect foil. And you thought that they were the perfect compliment! Sometimes that is what makes them fit so perfectly - they are the polar opposite of you. Sometimes not. Sometimes, you have to mold them, Ha! Most times, they are molding you when you think that you are molding them. Sometimes, they are sympathetic to your troubles, sometimes not. They do seem to know how to get your goat. They also know just how far to go to get it. Sometimes not, though. Sometimes, they go too far. But, when you are in need of a friend, who is there? They are.. Are you there for them, when they need a friend? If you are That Perfect Fit, you are. I named a couple of Teacher types that were a perfect fit. Can you name a few others? How about those that might not have been a perfect fit??? Remember that this is a public forum, though......

Vandy was always friendly, Margaret could be, but wasn't always - but, she was always very charming. Vandy had a wit, Margaret had a look. Vandy could make you laugh with his wit. When Margaret gave you that look, you would not be laughing and it was something that you did not forget easily. Vandy had a grip like a vise. When he grabbed you, you did not get away until he was done talking with you. Key words there are - talking with you. He knew that there were always two sides to each story. Margaret did not have a strong grip - didn't need one. She just gave you that look. Vandy could be up one minute and back down the next, Margaret was even keel most of the time. Vandy's weapon was his tone and his booming voice. Margaret's was just her look. You always knew what Vandy was thinking. Most of the time, you had no idea what Margaret was thinking. You had to guess. Vandy tells me that even he had no idea what she was thinking. No guessing with Vandy. He told you! I also suspect that he knew what Margaret was thinking most of the time. Because they were That Perfect Fit.

Sometimes in life, Special people are blessed with a second perfect fit. Vandy had another. It was Center Grove. He told me recently that there will never be another Margaret. Center Grove will never have another Vandy, either.

3 comments:

Greybeard said...

What a great post, TD!

Not just "the look."
I remember a repertoire of "looks".

The one I saw a lot was almost "Mona Lisa"......
an impish smile, barely there, with a twinkle in the eye like she was up to something.
Two years of Spanish with the Lady, and I DID learn it!

Margaret and Vandy shared a special trait:
Fairness.

Purple Tabby said...

Mr. & Mrs. V lived across the street from the Morrison's. Mrs. M. taught Home Ec. and I believe he was a counselor. Great couple. I believe their son became an MD.

OJ and his wife always seemed rock stable, as did the Colgroves.

As I was trying to remember couples from that time, I'm not sure I would have recognized an unhappy couple. Well, that may be a stretch, but I don't think it would have been obvious to me.

Even when I think of some teachers, who now seem more than a little odd,,, well I don't think their personal lives showed at school

From the cooks, janitors, office workers, teachers, coaches etc. I think the kids always came first. If they were unhappy, I don't think I would have known it.

But then I had a terrible physical handicap that everyone knew about but me,,, the dreaded "head-not-screwed-on-straight- syndrome!

It’s funny you mention Mrs. V’s “look”! I thought that was just for me as I was dating her son the near the end of HS. Her “look” could paralyze me in a heartbeat.

the golden horse said...

Two Dogs,

That was so sweet about the perfect fit. So many in our class were so lucky to have found theirs. This will be our 25th year in Dec. It took awhile, but what a guy.
I love hearing about all the success stories we have.
I remember when Carol and Harry got together at a party at my house in the 8th grade. Perfect fit.
Post office was a big game back then. Spin the bottle another one.
I don't suppose any of you would happen to remember those games???