Friday, January 20, 2006

Flick Picks

My favorite movies were the hokey ones on Fright Night with Sammy Terry.

The Blob, Attack of the Giant Crabs, I Was a Teenage Werewolf, etc great stuff! I was stunned when Godzilla bit that policeman in two! LOL

Remember that one about the pilot who got zapped with radiation and grew to be a giant? He walked around Nevada in a diaper and I couldn’t help wonder where he got that much fabric. I REALLY don’t want to think about him needing a second diaper!

My all time favorite was The Body Snatchers. I went to a slumber party in a big old farmhouse. The wind whistled through it all night long while we watched the pods open. I was scared silly. Still, I was the first to fall asleep and the other girls decorated me with houseplants and took photos! I'm sure my pod took over that very night!

Cynthia A and her sisters were always fun to stay with. We would go to a theater in Greenwood (it was in an old building but I'm not sure where) to see Elvis movies. She had ALL his 45s and I was so jealous! We swooned and practiced putting on make-up until the wee hours.

I saw Flower Drum Song at the Franklin Theater. Is it still there? The entry steps, the carpet, mirrors etc always seemed to make the movie seem glamorous before we even got in.

2 comments:

Greybeard said...

I still think the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" with Kevin McCarthy and Dana Wynter is one of the scariest movies ever!
One glitch in the plotline though.....in all cases, the pod had to be in close proximity to it's intended recipient to do it's job......
but at the end of the movie Dana Wynter momentarily dozes off.....no pods around.....and she is taken over.
(Tim Allen sound!)

And "The Blob"....Beech Grove's own Steve McQueen's first movie. At the start of the movie, he's a participant in a drag race. What's different about that race?

A quirk of mine, trivia.
Wish important information would stick in my head like the silly crap does!

the golden horse said...

Oh, Gosh, The Body Snatchers. I was 9 when it came out and staying with my boy cousins in Plainfield. One was a year older and one was a year younger than me. We had talked my aunt into letting us go into town and see a movie. She was always protective of me, since she had 7 boys and worried what they might do to me. Not knowing I could hold my own with them. So she finally lets us go in and by the time the movie was over, we were sitting on the floor and had our jackets over our heads. We didn't come out until the lights came on. We never told my Aunt what movie we saw or didn't see or she would have killed us.
I gotta share another moment about my special cousins though, another time she almost killed us and for good reason.
Back when they left you those huge appliance boxes after a delivery we had one and decided we were going to tie it onto a red flyer wagon and ride down the hill in it. Yeah, right. We thought it sounded good for a covered wagon.
Well, there were about 6 older kids and about the same amount of younger ones, but none of us were brave enough for the test ride, so we bravely decided to let the younger ones have the first ride.
We put them in and shoved them off, just about the time my aunt came outside and looked up the hill into her back yard. She could hear all this screaming and couldn't figure it out until it was almost too late, since there was a road ahead. Needless to say we got the wagon stopped, but not before she gave us that look. Yeah, we got our butts burned on that one.