Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Mrs. Howard's Typing Class

"Why in the world are you wasting time with that class?"

That was Mom.......

Like Home Ec., typing was for girls.
I think she may have been worried her offspring was turnin' into a "poof".

I really didn't care too much about learning to type.
I had a hole in my schedule for that hour.
Ron did too.
We put our heads together and decided an elective class where we would be surrounded by girls was worth the risk of being kidded by our peers.

And we WERE surrounded by girls!

Try as hard as I might, I was never able to get my typing speed above 35 words per minute. I could go really fast at times, but my tongue always got in the way of my "eye teeth", and I'd have to back up and correct.

I think my speed is probably much better than that now, and I cannot tell you how glad I am that I allowed Mrs. Howard to introduce me to the Smith-Corona!

I think almost all kids get the class now, only they don't call it "Typing" anymore........now it's "Keyboarding".
Maybe that's more macho so the boys don't rebel?

My son types at 74 words per minute. I know that's not record breaking speed, but it amazes me to watch his fingers on the keypad......you cannot see them move that quickly. It's hard to believe he can think fast enough to stay ahead of where his fingers are headed.

But as I sit here steadily typing.......
excuse me, keyboarding this post,
I wonder about the other guys from our class that are now maybe still employing the old, tried and true, "hunt and peck" method to thrash out a message, and I smile........

Thank you Roxie, for putting up with two boneheaded thorns in the middle of all those roses.
And thank you for giving me an adequate skill that serves me well after all these years!

4 comments:

Flygirl said...

GB
Roxie Howard! What a great memory from the Halls of CGHS!

I'm not sure if we were in the same class or not, but she would get us all started on the black monsters...clackety, clacking.
Then, she would go into the hall to gossip with other teachers! There was a small window (as I recall) in the door to the typing room that she could keep her eye on us while she gossiped with other teachers.

Didn't you hate having to erase an error? Remember those little,scratchy, circle thing erasers, with that little brush on the end. I'd always tear a hole in my paper.

She had such a "chest"; some of us gals thought that she'd been a stripper in the past. In class,we'd say (very quietly): "hit the pink lights Charlie" when she'd walk in or out of the room. How awful were we? I feel terrible thinking back on how we were in that class.
Thank goodness she taught us to pound away on the black monsters. I could not imagine having to hunt & peck with today's techno gadets!

Your son is amazing; he smokes the keyboard @ 75 mph! Thanks for teaching me a new term today! I've not heard of Keyboarding. I might have heard it before, but if I have, I probably thought it was a new sport for the mountains or oceans???

Here's to Roxie "hit the pink lights Charlie" Howard, where ever she might be today.

the golden horse said...

OHMIGOD,

Typing class, what a hoot,
I remember Ronnie S. leaning over his keyboard looking a whole lot like Beethoven. I thought some of the guys could really burn those keys. Marilyn B. could fire them up amazingly.
Then if you did good in the 5 min speed test, you were honored to go to the back of the class and use one of the two electric typewriters we had just received. Boy, did we think we were big stuff then.
I took typing for two years and the difference between the two teachers was like night and day. I am glad I had them both.

Greybeard said...

Fly.....
Testosterone raging, you think guys were not aware that Mrs. Howard's chances of drowning were nil?!

Son Ron sat next to me in the band's trumpet section, not that that has anything to do with the topic.

Funny though....your "pink lights" comment came up in a VERY late night Instant messenger chat I had with another female classmate a couple months ago.
Roxie was pretty stiff. I can't imagine her with a "pole" routine!

Flygirl said...

GB
What's that old saying? "Never Judge a Book by It's Cover?"

There's no telling what Roxie might have done with a "pole" and good lighting?

I caught her a couple of times actually laughing and kicking up a little. She didn't know that I was lurking in the halls....um???

If you had to carry all that around, you'd stand a little stiff yourself...ha! It's all a matter of balance, from what I hear.

It's good to know that the guys were aware of the drowning percentages for her. And it's nice to know that there's another gal out there that remembers the "pink lights" comment. Ha!

Some things are just classic and never die...And there are so many more classics from VK...