Sunday, April 02, 2006

More Smith Valley

What about Doty's grocery store at the corner of Morgantown Road and Old Smith Valley Road. Fred and Beattie. He is the one who build the Beehive.
Effie's variety store and Don's grocery in the old valley. At Don's would get a soft drink called Ski. I fell through the ice at the creek and had to run to Steve W.'s house before I froze. Bill Doty's old gas station. Gas twenty- twenty five cents a gallon. The money I was making back then... It is cheaper today. I would stop at the Texaco station after it closed and drain the gas out of the hoses at the pumps for my scooter. Bill Doty had a nickle coke machine but he charged six cents. He had a can screwed to the front of the machine to put your penny in. Sometimes we would put a nickle in the machine and Rattle the can.
( Remember G. B. )
Ferdyflyer.... I was at my Dad's house today and someone has started fixing your house up . It had been empty for a long time.

3 comments:

the golden horse said...

Awww such memories, I went to all those old stores so often. Best penny candy going.
I bought so many cool clothes at Effies. Rode down on my bike.
I had heard that several of the houses in the addition were empty since the people weren't hooked up to sewer and couldn't get permits for a new one, maybe a eminent domain thing going on there. Or soon.
Our house is still there and mom too.
Remember the old barn on the corner of Hiatt addition and old Smith Valley Road owned by the two sisters? They had several cats in there. And Old Mary S. driving the roads looking for treasures?
I loved growing up in the addition.

Hawkeye said...

Yes the one in Hiatt Addition. Don Davis bought from your Mom & Dad. He lived there for a long time. Then he sold it to a Greenwood policeman Willie something. They lived there a while. He moved out and she stayed for a few years by herself. It looks like the county is reworking the drainage system in the addition went I drove through a few days ago. A lot of the people are keeping their houses up. A few don't.
I remember Old Mary, she drove a '55 Ford for a long time then moved up to a '62 Ford.
I would go with G.B. sometimes delivering papers & we would go into Effie's to get warm.

Greybeard said...

Don Sutton's grocery was near the end of my Indianapolis News paper route. In the summertime I'd stop there and get a "Ski", (which, by the way, they still sell in Central Illinois), and a bag of Planter's Peanuts.....
I'd go out and sit on the breadbox, open the peanuts and pour them into the Ski, and watch the world go by for a few minutes.

Effie's Variety Store was such a wonderful place! As Hawkeye mentioned somewhere else, her store was a wintertime stop. She had an old pot-bellied stove, and it was wonderful on cold days to stop off there, get a Reese's Peanut Butter cup, and warm by the fire.

Now you know why I have always had a tendency towards being overweight!