Monday, May 15, 2006

Brisket

Did I tell ya how much I enjoyed seeing everyone? What a Blast! I don't think I had that much fun at our Prom or was as tired after !!!

Brisket : This may be more information than anyone wants, but this is how I make brisket. I'm so glad y'all liked it.There are as many recipes for brisket as there are people. The one we like best is taken from the Cheyenne Frontier Days “Daddy of ‘Em All” Cookbook.

http://bbq.about.com/cs/brisket/a/aa122599.htm
This article clarifies a few things to know about brisket. The Indy butchers thought I wanted corned beef brisket. Nope. Get fresh brisket.

In Indy, I could only find the fancy-cut, trimmed, flat-part of the brisket.

In Texas, we aren’t that fancy; I get the biggest one that will fit in my oven (they shrink btw), trim most of the fat but leave about ½ inch on top. When it’s done and cooled, I just scrape off the fat. Some people leave it on, they say they like the taste. I think they are nuts

• Preheat oven to 450 F
• Place brisket on three layers of heavy-duty foil, fat side up.
• Rub both sides generously with Bronco Buster Rub (recipe below)

(**This part is my idea
• Splash about ½ to 1 C of Claude’s Brisket Marinade Sauce
• Add about that much water
• Sprinkle a good amount of Worchester Powder on top
• Add some Emeril's Southwestern seasoning if you have it **)

Seal each layer of foil tightly and separately (very important)
• Place in a 9x13 (or larger) pan and place in the oven on a cookie sheet ,, makes it easier to lift out later

Reduce oven temp to 275 F and let it bake for 8-12 hours. I usually put it in the oven after supper so it is ready by breakfast or a little after -- running an oven in the daytime is not a good thing in Texas. Plus it makes it the house smell so good by morning.

• Let it rest for 30 min or so, then cut against the grain for ¼ inch slices (I have NEVER been able to do this part. It just falls apart and looks like a mess but it doesn't seem to matter)
• Make a criss-cross pattern of the BBQ sauce of your choice (we like Masters Original) as much or as little as you like.

• I usually pour some of the baking juices over the sliced meat too. The rest of the juice can be tossed or saved to season soup.
• Wrap it back up and keep it in a warm oven or refrigerate until needed.Lift it to the serving dish with a large spatula

• Brisket freezes well and leftovers are great in vegetable soup

Now for the rub. I make up 3-4 recipes of this and keep it on hand--ya just never know when ya need to cook up a brisket! This stuff can also fix freezer burned meat,,, just treat the meat like it's brisket and it put it in a pita pocket. WA LA

Broncho Buster Rub
1 clove of garlic (optional & I omit it)
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon dried sage
½ teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon ground oregano
¼ teaspoon red pepper
¼ teaspoon pepper

8 comments:

BoMarGirl said...

The "House Special" here is Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches....but I got hungry for Brisket after reading your recipe. The beef brisket I've always seen here is rolled and tied with string. Is that the kind of roast that would work or do I need to get something else?

Purple Tabby said...

Well, I'm not sure about the beef rolled and tied, Bo. It would probably work just fine.

However, flank steak and brisket are about the same and I've seen flank steak rolled and tied. Flank steak has to be beaten to a pulp (sort of) to be chewable, if memory serves.

The butcher at the Stone's Crossing Marsh has brisket, the fancy kind.

Two Dogs told me about a meat market on the west side of Indianapolis that has brisket. TD, can you help me out with the name of that place?

You weren't talking about that dance hall where you used to hang out, were you? ;)

TwoDogs said...

Ha Ha Ha!!!

Hank's Smoked Briskets is the name of the establishment that sells the brisket. 38th and MLK

Cowboys was the name of the other establishment and I was only there one time!

Geez, One mistake in 40 years and you never hear the end of it!

BoMarGirl said...

Thanks PT....I think I'll stick with Marsh. That area where TwoDogs hangs out is a little on the wild side for a country girl (I have heard that he goes there frequently; just between you and me). Thanks again. I'll let you know if the White River Township Fire Dept. gets involved in the recipe!

BoMarGirl said...

Hey PT, GREAT NEWS!
I went to "The Valley" this afternoon and Keith Hampton showed me a great big Hummer-size beef brisket! He says he sells quite a few in the summer and promises that when I get all the fixins together to make my feast he'll have one. He was interested in your recipe but I didn't have it with me. I'll take it in next time. He was telling me how they fix brisket in TX in special grills so that the meat does not sit on the coals but just receives the heat from the coals....you know about that PT???? Or is he trying to spoof this Hoosier??

Purple Tabby said...

He's telling you the truth, Bo. I never cook brisket that way though; it's just too tricky (part gets dry, part is still tough etc )and I don’t like to goof around with that much groceries.

Some people like to smoke briskets too. It's okay but it doesn't improve the flavor that much as far as I can tell. Everyone has a favorite recipe though.

The trick to good brisket, IMHO, is the right mix of spices, a big slab of meat, and a long slow bake at low temperature in a tight foil wrap. Brisket is has a lot of collagen in it (they tell me) and a slow bake breaks that part down and makes it all tender.

Just a note: I checked my local market and it was $2.50/lb for a partially trimmed brisket,,, a full brisket, not just the flat part.. Ask Keith if he will match that price;)

Brisket shrinks but I don't think you can go wrong having extra on hand

BoMarGirl said...

PT, FYI, I think that is the price($2.50 lb.) he give me yesterday when I was in the store. We'll see if he sticks to it this summer!

That collagin getting hot and breaking down is what has happened to my face.......YIKES!

Purple Tabby said...

LOL Bo! That should make you very tender!

BTW (since you missed the party) I like to serve brisket in a toasted pita pocket with some slaw on top. Our classmates seemed to like it that way too.

Good luck with the brisket. Let me know how it turns out.