Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Mr. Legan

BoMarGirl sent me Mr. Legan's email address, and I contacted him.
I got a wonderful reply, then sent Mr. Legan my phone number.
This weekend he called, and we spent almost an hour on the phone, sharing memories and catching up on almost 50 years of life.

I don't remember how many individual classes the class of '65 was broken into for Sixth Grade....was it four?
Did all of us occupy the old "Spitting radiators, Middle Building" that year?

Whatever......
a chunk of us were Mr. Legan's first Co-Ed class at CG.
There's an explanation for that:
The year before us, the only space available for Mr. Legan's class was in the old tunnel near the Boys Locker Room, in the new Gymnasium area.
The powers that be were worried about the proximity to that Locker Room, and decided an all male class would avoid a bunch of complications.

Here's a thumbnail of his history:
He taught at CG for 7 years, then went to Franklin, where he taught Algebra and Math for 16 years, until 1980.
From 1980 until 1995 he taught various levels of Math and Social Studies at a school in West Virgina, where he had inherited a farm. During this time, he also raised cattle on a small scale!

He met his first sweetheart while attending Franklin College, and later married her. They were married 43 years. Her death left him wondering whether life was worth living for quite a period of time.

He finally met and fell in love with another Hoosier Girl, (0ddly, both his wives were from New Albany). They were married in 2006.
She is a Nurse. She plans on retiring at the end of the year, then together they plan on doin' a bunch of travelling.

Mr. Legan has 3 sons and a daughter, ranging in age from 38 to 46.
His daughter, (a teacher!), lives less than an hour from me, and I've challenged him to call me when he comes to visit so Sara Jean and I can drive there and take him to dinner.

When I reflect on my favorite teachers, Mr. Legan stands out.
He was fair. He had a positive attitude. He actually taught!
Our phone conversation was a delight........he related how many other professions get a chance to see their finished product: the worker on an assembly line gets to see the car he helped build being driven by it's purchaser on the street. In talking with BMG and myself, Mr. Legan has gotten a glimpse at his "finished product".

Obviously, I hope he is pleased.

6 comments:

Purple Tabby said...

Why not invited him to the Oct. mini.? No doubt he would have some great stories to tell.

BoMarGirl said...

I think all of us were in the Middle Bldg. in 6th gr. Four classrooms with about 50 kids in each!

Do you remember the 6th gr. Hula Hoop Contest?

Purple Tabby said...

Who won the Hula Hoop contest,BMG?

About the only thing I remember about the 6th grade was being in Mr. Hillenberg's class (one of my all-time favorite teachers) and how cute Rocky S. was,, pointy ears, buck teeth and all!

the golden horse said...

PT
Ahh, the sixth grade, I loved it there in the middle building and I adored Mr. Hillenberg. He starting getting so many special things for our class, i.e. donuts on Wed. the tether ball, volleyball, the extra long recesses on Fridays. What a teacher.
It's funny, but I remember you having the hots (not that we knew what the hots were) for Rocky over the years, for some reason that sticks out. I wonder where he is today?
I remember when we all tried to play marbles in the hall and got into trouble, then the squirt guns. Wow, we were such renegades back then. LOL.
Does anyone remember the end of the year picnics way back in the scary woods? Gosh, those were the days.

BoMarGirl said...

PT - I can't remember who won the hula hoop contest but I sure had fun....all of us kids out in that big hallway with hula hoops! Wish we had a picture of that.

Mr.Legan & Mrs. Hicks classes went together on our picnic and it stormed BIG TIME...we had to walk to Arthur Briggs' house on Stones Crossing Rd. Judy Willoughby and I were dead last in the line of soaked kids....I remember seeing wet sandwich bags, potato chips, brown paper sacks all soaked on the road to Arthur's house. We all stood on Briggs' porch until it quit raining. Mrs. Briggs gave me a towel to wrap around my shoulders, bless her heart.

the golden horse said...

I remember two places we went for those picnics, one was right behind our school and the other was across the street where they built that new elemetary building. There was a creek back there, and you guessed it, we all got soaked. What fun.
Do you remember the 6th grade trip to WestLake, boy, were we cool back then. I went with Danny K and we both wore sailor hats, we were just too cool for words, mom took a great pic of us though.
Those were the days.