Sunday, June 11, 2006

CGHS Alumni Banquet 2006

Ferdy and I got all cleaned up and went to the Alumni Banquet last night. First time for both of us and we did have a good time. We sat with Hawkeye and Hotlips, Mr. and Mrs. Shifty and djinindy. Bob White and Mrs. White were at the table next to us and Bobby Hudson was there. He has moved back to Indiana from living in Florida for 22 years. Ruel West brought Mr. V and he gave a little "people" speech that was touching. What a man! He said it was the first banquet that he had attended since Mrs. V passed away and it felt good to get out and see everyone. Bless his heart, you can't help loving that man.

A viewing of the new DVD about the history of the school in White River Township ran before we had our meal. It is really interesting to see the first school located in the "grove of maple trees", the old school buses and then the old high school and gym that burned before we started first grade.

The class of 1956 had a bunch there to celebrate their 50th and it looked like they were all having a great time. There were several from the class of 1946 also. The most "senior" alum was a gentleman that graduated in 1934. I didn't get to talk with him but wish I could have. I think he would have had some interesting things to tell us.

Before the meal we sang the Star Spangled Banner then had a blessing praying for our men and women fighting for our country. We feasted on a buffet of fried chicken, ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, fried biscuits and cake. YUM...it was gooood!

GOLDEN HORSE! Ferdy and I could NOT see any silver sparkly balls anywhere; you must come back and whip things into shape for future alumni. Ferdy and I were so disappointed that they have discontinued your silver sparkly balls; the cafeteria lights just didn't have quite the same ambiance!

At any rate, the class of "65 had fun talking and laughing with each other about old times, weddings coming up this summer for Ferdy's and Hawkeye & Hotlips' kiddos, plans for future "minis" and visiting with other old friends. WE MISSED YOU ALL THAT COULDN'T BE WITH US LAST NIGHT, but "a good time was had by all" who did go.

5 comments:

Greybeard said...

The Star Spangled Banner, AND a prayer?
Wow.
Nancy Pelosi/Harry Reid will have the PC Police overseeing the next CG Alumni Banquet!

It's what I love about my home and roots:
Core values remain strong in the heartland!

GH and all.....
next Banquet, we'll bring our own Sparkly Balls!

the golden horse said...

BMG and FF
Ohmigod, I am so sorry you didn't get to experience the excitment of seeing sparkly balls. If you ever come to visit, I will show you some. LOL.
Nice write up on the evening, sure enjoyed it. I am glad you got to go, I have probably been to about 15 or so over the years and had a ball. yuck yuck. Nice play on words there.
GB...
Loved that comment...so true.

Purple Tabby said...

BMG and FF - I'm so glad you had a fun time at the Banquet. Did you happen to get any photos?

Is Ruel West still the hottie he was in HS? He is in my eyes no matter what! That kid could play basketball!!

I'm so glad Vandy could be there, too. He's such a great guy.

One of these years, I hope to be in Indy at Alumni Banquet time. In preparation for that event, I will start shopping for sparkly balls TODAY!

BoMarGirl said...

PT -YIKES! NO PHOTOS!! I really didn't think about taking pictures...I am so sorry! Ruel is just as cute as you remember. I thought it was so thoughtful of him to take Mr. V to the Banquet.

I think we could have sparkly ball's on our shoes, headbands, earrings, bracelets...even sparkly ball dresses! Golden Horse should come that year too.

the golden horse said...

Just give me the time and place and maybe we could get the Sweet Potato Queens to show up for a cameo visit.
As for Mr. Ruel, he can pump my gas anytime.