Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Vandy Called !!

Getting a phone call from Mr. V. really took me off my pegs! Here I am getting supper ready and out of the blue, Vandy is on the phone!

He sounded so good and chatted for a quite a while. He wanted to tell us how much he appreciated all that we did for him at the reunion and let us know one more time how much he enjoyed our class.

Flygirl, he really liked the Vandy Candy. "I put it out for the old people around here and it goes fast,” he said. He likes the blankets too but I don't think he naps much; I think he uses them as chair covers which is a fine idea.

He said he should have known they would ask him to speak at the Alumni Banquet when they gave him a free ticket! He really gets a kick out of seeing people he knew as kids. "I really enjoyed my job there. It was a good place. Good parents. Good kids,” he said.

I told him we want to gently roast OJ in October and he was happy to volunteer some OJ stories -- one story about OJ losing a golf ball and them spending a very long time trying to find it. Another story about OJ going ballistic and throwing a club into a tree. He had them looking for that club for a long time before he realized them were looking in the wrong tree. I’m sure he can add more stories by Fall!

Be on the look out for a golf ball that chirps (I know they make them some place). That would make a great gift. I have a small kid’s golf club that I can paint glow-in-the-dark orange -- the better to see in trees. All other roast ideas are still in play so keep thinking about it

I think Vandy really enjoys hearing from kids from CG so sending him a note, giving him a call or even stopping in to see him means a great deal to him. He has many friends and interests where he lives. He stays active and has fun every chance he gets. Still, a note or call from a student would probably make his day.

He sure made mine!

3 comments:

Greybeard said...

I'm sure that was quite a treat, after you got over the initial shock!

And "putting the 'Vandy Kandy'out for the old people"......what a hoot!

I'm glad he was touched by the tribute at our mini. He sure deserves it.

Hatchet said...

DVD's area available from alumni association for $15.00 p/copy. alumni gets $6.50 per copy for scholarship fund. let me know if any interest or more info needed. 30 minutes of professing narrated and edited photos of CGS and WRT.
remember the jiffy whip, meridian drive in, mount plesant shops, fletchs standard station in b-ville.

alumni committee decided to give scholarship $1K to a child of CGS graduate. scholarship in past has been handled by group that gave money to person they chose. i will provide details at later date.

153 at alumni banquet, trying to get younger ones to attend, 1965 class represented well, 4 from 66' and myself from 67'

ron day attended, remember the Bee Hive in the Valley
keep the faith hatchet

Carol said...

I would like to get a copy. Who do I contact for this?