Monday, June 05, 2006

Sharing a Alumni Story and a Red Face.

Not too many years after we were out of high school, I got elected to the Alumni Committee. Back then, there was always a huge turn out and the old timers would show up like crazy and fun was had by all. It was the early 70's and I was secretary and the dance part of the banquet was big stuff.
We had had one of our many committee meetings to make the banquet a success and we each were given our lists of errands to do. Mine was to make several calls and one of them was to locate the music and a huge silver, rotating ball to hang from the ceiling.
One day as I am flying through my list of to dos I make my call to the party company and as soon as the kind gentleman on the other end of the phone line answered, I blurted out, "Do you have Sparkley Balls"....Silence.... Dead Silence on the other end of the line. I had no idea what was going on. Then a little chuckle, then it turned into a huge laugh and he is sharing this with the other employees, I still did not have a clue as to what was going on. He said, "Thanks for asking...but I don't think so." By then I had realized what I had asked and was so embarrassed, I had a really hard time finishing the call.
Well, needless to say, we got our ball and the dance was a success. The night of the banquet, as all the officers stood up and gave their reports, our lustrous President, Bob Kelso, told my story to the whole room. It pretty much brought down the house and I could barely read my minutes when I stood up next. I did get a big round of applause though.
It wasn't too many years later, I left the state.

5 comments:

the golden horse said...

FF
You are so welcome, it was a most humbling moment, but I did survive. I think it started me on a long path of procrastination of speech. lol.

BoMarGirl said...

Golden Horse - Ferdy and I will let you know if there are any "sparkly balls" this year at the banquet....

the golden horse said...

BMG
Thanks so much and if there isn't, please ask them why??
I know of a great place to get a quote and I am sure if you drop my name, they will give you the same discount I got.
FF
See, I am not the only one to rush in and ask those kind of questions questions when I am in such a hurry. I bet you were surprised at that call. LOL.

BoMarGirl said...

GH - We'll be happy to ask about that for you. By the way, I saw in the Journal this morning that they are needing volunteer helpers for the Bargersville Parade. I think you should send them your resume.

the golden horse said...

BMG
Thanks for the heads up on the job app. for the parade. I actually did participate for several years while living there, too bad we live too far away now to help.
I bet they don't have sparkley balls either......