Tuesday, June 20, 2006

"When I'm 64"

Talk of Paul McCartney's 64th birthday brought back a strange memory.

I think it was late summer of '63...... someone correct me if I'm wrong.
WIFE had been running a promo on the Beatles.....

(Sung, as a jingle:)
"The Beatles,
The Beatles,
The Beatle, Beatle, Beatles.....
(this part was in spoken word, with an English accent:)
We really don't want to bug you about them, but they ARE too much!
(Jingle again:) Better look out for the Beatles!"

Apparently, WIFE had acquired the rights to be the first radio station to play The Beatles' first U.S. releases in our area. They announced they would be playing four Beatles records, and the audience would then vote on which tune was their favorite.

The afternoon came with much anticipation.
WIFE played the four records.....as I recall they were:

"I Want to Hold Your Hand",
"She Loves You",
"Please Please Me",
and "Love Me Do".

When they had played all four records, they broadcast a number to call to vote for your favorite.
Of the four, I liked "She Loves You" best. But when I tried to call the number to vote, I got a busy signal.
I hung up and tried again.
Busy again, but in the background, behind the busy signal, I could hear voices......
(Male voice:) Beep, What, Beep, Is, Beep, Your, Beep, Number?

Then, a Female voice: Beep, 8, Beep, 8, Beep, 1........and so on, until seven digits had been given.
Wow! How exciting!
Forget voting for "She Loves You", this had never happened before!
The volume of calls to WIFE had simply overwhelmed the phone company's ability to handle them.

Between the Beeps of the busy signal, I gathered four or five phone numbers of female voices and called them, just to find out who they were and where they lived.

And nothing ever came of it.

I have no idea why I remember this incident, except it was exciting and fun at the time.
But I do remember that "She Loves You" won in the voting, even without my vote!

4 comments:

BoMarGirl said...

I remember calling a certain number that was always busy and getting names and where kids went to school, etc. "between the busy signals". I thought it was so much fun; I don't think I ever actually met a person I spoke with "between the busy signals". It was early (very early) computer dating.

the golden horse said...

Oh yeah, the buzz line, I remember it well. I had forgotten all about it. I talked with lots of neat people, never met them face to face either. Boy, has email evolved.

TwoDogs said...

"When I'm 64"

I will still remember the times of trying to use the telephone back in the 60's. The only one ever on the other end of the line was Lucille. I knew Lucille - what a neat Lady - but, I never wanted to "get her number". Funny though, Lucille had my number most of the time... For the longest time, I thought Lucille worked for the phone company and that you had to ask her permission just to use the phone.


"Summer of 63"

What a great time to grow up and the CG area was a great place to grow up in. Elvis, The Beatles, Color TV, WIFE FM, Center Grove (north to County Line and south to Bargersville), the After Game Sock Hops, The Whiteland Barn, Scott Hall, The BeeHive, Jerry’s, Pops and the Pool Hall, Meridian Drive In, The Football Jamborees, The Homecomings, The Basketball County Tourney, and Mid State Baseball. Those are just a few of my favorite memories. There are a lot more.

The good times and the bad times. Like bolts of lightning that shake our very foundations. In the fall of '63 – Wayne’s auto accident. Later, Ron’s diving accident and Kenny’s accidental shooting. Even before this, Classmate(s) losing a Parent. Some things happened without notice. They all affected us, our friends and our relatives lives. Sometimes we were not ready for that heavy dose of reality. Most of the times, lives were shattered. We had to lean on good friends as well as our Parents and Teachers. They helped us through these times, knowing full well that they were also preparing us for the future. Life, if you will…. The draft and the Viet Nam War - The loss of more Classmates and Friends. Some have lost Brothers or Sisters. Some have lost Spouses. Some have lost Children. Shattered Lives, Shattered Dreams. Along the way, We have lost some of the very people that prepared us so well for our future. For me, Lucille was one of these people. We miss them all.

Although, never really ready to say good bye - the support of friends and family seem to make it a little easier and we somehow get through the tough times. Shattered Lives do mend. Sometimes very slowly but, We do survive.

“Summer of 06”

We have renewed some old friendships - even made new friends and again, we look to the future. Family, Grandkids and those Friendships, old and new.

Life moves on. We move on.

the golden horse said...

Two dogs...

How beautiful and so true,,everything you just wrote about is oh so meaningful to all of us.
Thanks for sharing such wonderful memories.