Friday, September 22, 2006

Fixin' to Get Ready

It won’t be long until I head out for Indiana. Just thinking about cool weather, raking leaves, burning leaves, going to wiener roasts, picking apples etc sounds like heaven.

Of course,I started gathering things to take on this trip at least a month ago. There’s boxes of stuff for Mother, a box of goofy stuff for Abby Rose and Drew Michael (who are perfect in everyway), a box of cooking supplies and kitchen tools that may come handy and then there are at least 2 big boxes of things gathered for OJ Roast! I just can’t wait.

David J is making something that is so funny, I’m dying to tell y’all just how clever he is,,,,but he asked me not to tell. HOWEVER, I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if he doesn’t have to figure out a way to mass produce his gift and market it world wide. EVERYone will want one.

Janet F. has her gift ready and OJ will love it, too. We’ve made 2 business cards for him. One says “:OJ SLOOP, Teacher, Mentor Friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but Tiger calls me Coach”
The other says “ Alektorophobia - Not just a phobia. It’s a way of life” and it shows a golfer about to swing ,,,a small chicken is on the tee.

Bev. H, Janet B and Vicki are working on a special presentation for OJ ,,, a thanks from all of us for his military service in WWII. Vickie can’t join us but she is still sending ideas back and forth.

Jane Ann C is making a pile of math homework for us to turn in. I trust y’all can come up with a really good excuse for homework that is over 40 years late!

In other news, Janet B’s son, the Army Ranger, and his wife are due to have twins in November! I hope ALL the grandparents bring their photo albums,,, this will be the last time you get to show off the grandbabies before Janet makes a super duper scrap book of the twins!

Jeanie and Steve will be going to North Carolina to she their granddaughter and Jane Ann and Guy will be in DC. Guy’s father passed away in July and they are planning a burial in Arlington Cemetery the end of October. It’s so sad to lose a parent but what an honor that he will rest in Arlington.

Mark G and his wife are planning to join us as is Linda B. Linda is collecting more OJ stories from Jerry Dunn so we should be able to roast him to a turn. Flygirl is still planning to be there but she has been helping a very ill friend get through a tough time and FG’s plans could change. Still I think she will make it to Indy.

I plan to bring a mini-cam with the goal of making CDs for everyone. Since I’ll be in Indy for a while, I may just visit some of the folks who can’t join us and get a few words of wisdom from them to add to the CD

Things we still need: Hotdogs, Chips, Salads, Buns, Drinks, Ice.
What am I forgetting? OHHHHHHHHHHH yeah The fixin’s for John T’s favorite drink!! Yeah, need to pack that!!! ;)

Someone needs to tell Top Cat that 3 people are making desserts especially for him,,, He needs to tell them if he has a preference otherwise he may end up with all the delightful things we had last time,,,, which is not a bad thing either.

Now I have ta pick out my wiener roast outfit. I AM the Fashion Police, after all!

8 comments:

Purple Tabby said...

All Points Bulletin for Indy Echo. She may be working, shopping, gallivanting, no one knows.

Her efforts and creativity for the Roast are critical. Please report sightings/communications to VK Blog

For all of you who are worried about changes in VK Blog, let me explain. Indy Echo asked me to pull back notes about the party; she wanted to add an update and thought it would be less confusing if the previous notes were gone.

I retrieved the notes and then waited for the updates. And waited, and waited, and waited.

In lieu of her update, I posted a lame note about me getting ready to go to Indiana. And now I'm issuing an APB for Indy Echo because no one seems to have heard from her. Kohls is having a mega sale today and I’m guessing she may be there.

Hopefully she will soon tell us that everything is A-OK and Good to Go.

Greybeard said...

"Fittin' to get ready to begin to start".
I like that. "Lame post"? Hardly. Made me laugh, and I needed that.

Yeah, there were those that asked me about the missing posts, also. "Didn't I read this a long time ago?"
Yes, of course you did. Problematic, because it did leave a lame post by this Greybeard guy at the top, which sat there festering without comment for weeks on end.

Back to the issue-
I'm excited about putting mature faces to the names in your post, PT. I personally have not seen many of those folks since late May of '65. I'm disappointed to hear that some are interested enough to contribute to our gathering, but won't be able to make it. [Sigh]

But..... the bright side!
Interest is a great thing, and maybe, like BMG, we can make others realize they are missing some magical moments when they are AWOL from these minis.

My impression:
IE's mind goes sort of like her conversation sometimes....a mile a minute. I bet she is up to her tush in alligators, but has them all at bay. C'mon Echo- we're about to send out Gen. Umbargers National Guard!

Purple Tabby said...

GB I enjoyed your entry about the schools but I'm such a slow thinker, by the time I thoroughly mulled over the subject, other posts had been added and it just seemed too late.

You may have noticed that I don't even add to my own blog anymore. I just don't have the time but I'm workin' on it.

I always read yours though. Great stuff GB

Purple Tabby said...

GUESS WHAT! Vicki I is coming!! I haven't seen her in EVER!

ALSO she mentioned something important,,, that Vandy is also a WWII vet and we might want to do something for him too. Good point.

Your thoughts

BoMarGirl said...

PT, Greybeard and all;
Sounds like a great whoop-tee-doo at IE's in October. I am wanting to be with you all; we were so lucky to have each other through high school. I wouldn't have made it without most of you and believe me I think of you all as my best friends.

We have to go to Dawsnville, GA for an annual family event. If there were any way I could change this I would. I hope to be able to see you all at the next "mini" then GB can see my "mature" face - HA! My face may be mature as well as other body parts, so get a grip when we finally do get together.

So sorry to hear about the others who can't make it this time; maybe they will be at the next one as well.

Did you know our General Marty has been selected as Chairman of the National Guard Association of the United States??? WOW!! Who 'da thought. Just think, Marty talking to Congress!! I can't help but be proud and laugh at the thought at the same time....does anyone but me remember our class party at Riverside?? Don't share this with Washington but Marty and I rode the Wild Mouse...Marty must have been a tad frightened because when we got off his pants were rather damp!! Now THAT'S food for a roast on our General.

BoMarGirl said...

P.S. Sad news to report - I read in the morning paper that Mickey Kincaid died yesterday. No details were given in the obituary. He will be buried in Bluff Creek Cemetary. Mickey was 63.

Purple Tabby said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Mickey. I didn't know him well but I remember him being a cutie! I wonder what could have happened to him?

As for Marty! He continues to amaze. I wish I could say "I knew all along he was destined for greatness" But to me, he was just Marty,,, a nice guy, good looking, won lots of sports awards, always polite, and uncomplicated.

I read a nice note from a guy he who worked for him a while back. He said “I’d follow that guy anywhere”. I don’t think there is a higher compliment for a military leader.

And ya know, my guess is that Marty is still the same uncomplicated nice guy he was 40 years ago. I would follow him too.

TwoDogs said...

TwoDogs and Company are still trying to work this out. I don't want to miss it. OJ deserve all the praise that we can muster. He and his Dad put up with us for a long time. Fact is - he is still putting up with us. Mentor, Guide, Gentle Persuader, even a Father figure to some. A "Vandy" type to be sure - but, different. With OJ - it was "Here are the choices - This is the right choice - This is the wrong choice - Now, it is up to you..." A Leader that you could follow and not go wrong. If you made the right choices, That is.

Uncomplicated, like Marty.

Marty is another one of those Leaders. And Yes, I would follow him also.