Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On!

Working nights fits my temperament for a number of reasons.
I have always been a Nightowl, so it's kinda natural for me to work 12 hours from 6:30 P.M. to A.M..

Late night rolls around, and I find myself in front of the computer monitor, getting paid for surfing. I also show myself "online" on MSN Instant messenger, and chat with buddies from near and far.
One that frequently shows up at Midnight or thereabouts is our beloved Golden Horse. Five hours after the sun has set here, it submerges in the Pacific at the Aloha State. GH shows up, and we talk about what you'd imagine....... classmates, happy days, next week and next year.

But there was something else to chat about last night. GH and her Kenman got shaken outta bed this week. They are okay, but inspections are ongoing to see how much damage was done to the infrastructure around them. Damage was greater on the Big Island, but Oahu was pretty well shaken too. GH says they had power off for a while but they seem to be headed back to normalcy around her pretty quickly.

I was glad to chat with her and get that news, and wanted to relay it to all who might be concerned. She'll probably jump into the comments here, but still wishes she were headed Eastbound this weekend. Maybe we'll fire up a computer in Edinburgh at some point and all who want to can fill GH in on what she is missing? That would be fun.
I know we're all glad she and Ken are unhurt.

6 comments:

the golden horse said...

GB

Thank you for your concern and well wishes. This weekend gave a whole new meaning to shake, rattle and roll. We are fine today and going on with life as normal. Right now watching the AirForce Jets practicing their stuff. Quite a site to see.
My thoughts will be with you all this week.

Flygirl said...

GH: I was hoping that you weren't effected by the quake. Very sorry to hear that you were "shaken".

Crazy as it sounds, about a month ago, we had a little "shake & bake"! Yessiree Buck-a-roos... right here in paradise. I'd been through them before and thought that was what was happening...BUT IN FLORIDA???? NO WAY!!!

Sure enough, north of Tampa and it was felt over 200 miles away. We just had some window rattles, picture tilting, and knick knack giggles...nothing like what you're going through.

I hope it all calms down soon and you don't have any damage to your house.

Take Care and start taping your pictures to the walls...ha!

the golden horse said...

FG

Thanks so much, wow I hadn't heard about the one in Fl. Gosh, that had to be a shocker.
After living in areas where there are blizzards, tornadoes, hurricanes, heat waves, earthquakes, this one was the only one that really rattled me.
But today, we have been buffed and fluffed and are just finer than frog hair.
The Big Island really got it bad.
But if you come and visit, don't mind the duct tape on the walls holding things in place. Lol.
Thanks for your concern.

Flygirl said...

Sorry that you weren't with us in person Saturday night...but you were with us all in spirit!

We're just gong to have to get the Aloha '07 into the organizational phase! Are you really ready for the mainlanders to land in your lap on your Island Paradise?????

I'll remember to bring you some duct tape!!! You can never have too much DT!

Just wanted to let you know how much you are missed at the Minis!

the golden horse said...

FG

Thank you so much for your thoughts. You bet, I am ready, willing and probably able to receive each and every one of you.
Thanks for the duct tape. Things are great here now. Weather is gorgeous, mid 80's and we have our trade winds back, yeah.
Yes, plans need to be started right after the first of the year, as we have been drowning in tourists and the room occupancy in high. Try and find out if people are wanting hotels, one big house, condos, etc. I have even found some houses that hold up to 22.
I can always go check them out.
Let me know if I can help in any way. Also when date is firm, sometimes a package deal is the way to go and I have bought tons of tickets on Travelocity, by putting in a farewatcher alert and then jumping on them. Usually has two sales a year. I have never paid over about $500 (from HNL to IND) and that is including taxes which can be about $80.
Thanks for thinking of me and I miss you all. I could almost taste that food by looking at the pics.
gear up for Sushi girl.

the golden horse said...

WOW Steep65, that is a cool concept. I was so po'd we got cheated out of our senior trip. I had looked forward to it for so many years.
I sure am happy you meant chuckling. lol.
Something to work on.