Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Valley

The subject of the Valley comes up a lot here at VK, and now also at our reunions.
I'm not sure how most would define the term...... that's a topic for the comments..... what does "The Valley" mean to you?
Technically, to me it meant the neighborhood on Old Smith Valley road, from the E.U.B. Church, down the hill to Paddock road, then South, half a mile or so toward Olive Branch road.

I think I may have been the youngest "Indianapolis News" carrier in history.
I have no way of knowing if that's true.... no way to check. I just know the regional manager said I was the youngest ever when he gave me the paper route.

But at the age of ten I decided having a little jingle in my pockets would be a wonderful thing! I can't even remember the kids name, but he was 2 years my senior and lived in the Hiatt addition, just over the fence and four houses North from our house. He delivered papers in The Valley and he was moving. He needed someone to take his place.

I proposed becoming a small-businessperson to my parents. They were concerned for a thousand reasons. Having their 10 year old son take on that responsibility was scary. They knew I would be married to the route, delivering the Indy News on weekday evenings, and the Indy Star early on Sunday mornings. They knew they would bear the responsibility of watching over my shoulder to insure it was done properly.

I was so young, they even worried about my ability to make change when I did my weekly collections.
I knew they were leaning in the right direction when we practiced making change.
I knew the route was probably mine when I showed I could do it successfully.

I've had many milestones in my life.
I delivered The Indianapolis News in Smith Valley for almost 5 years, and I think that route taught me many important things that have served me well all these years.

Suttons, Perrys, Dotys...... I delivered the news to many with those names.
Many that didn't carry those names lost the name when they married. When I took the route, I delivered 21 Daily and 13 Sunday newspapers. When I handed the route over to John A. (who lived next door to the E.U.B. Church), I was delivering 54 daily and 32 Sunday papers.

I rode my bike past Doty's (then Hatfield's) Standard Service Station, The Beehive, the Smith Valley Community Center, the aforementioned E.U.B. Church, Effie Robinson's Variety Store, and Don Sutton's Grocery. During the Winter, the pot-bellied stove at Effie's was a welcome place to warm up while munching on a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. Summertime would find me outside, sitting on the bread box at Sutton's grocery, after grabbing an ice-cold Pepsi and a bag of peanuts inside.

When there wasn't a pick-up basketball game going on at Steve W.'s, the old bridge over the creek near Steve W. and Jane Ann C.'s house would beckon for 30 minutes or so. I always seemed to have a sidekick alongside to go down and skip rocks on the creek, or gingerly ride our bikes upstream when the creek was frozen over.

The route was a life lesson.
Many of those homes were occupied by old people. More than once I went to collect for my papers, only to find there was no one to collect from. People get old and they die, ya know..... even those you have learned to love.
Old people get lonely, and if they have no one to talk to but a very young paper boy, well, he'll do...... it's better than bein' alone. Part of my pay came from devoting the necessary time to someone that had not spoken to another human being all day.
All people are different.
Some are "not quite right".
Some folks will go to great extremes to avoid paying a young businessman the few cents they owe him.

Some women will pay their bill wearing very little clothing, just to see what reaction results.

But customers all wanted to read the news, and they wanted their newspaper delivered in one piece, dry, and on time.

The route taught me about budgeting and saving for the future,
and I did always have a "jingle" in my walk!
Such fond memories.
I wouldn't trade 'em for the world!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too grew up in the Valley, a little younger than you and I also had a paper route there. Mine was the Indianapolis Times though, the “other” paper. My perspective was quite different than yours. I remember long, easy days spent roaming what seemed to be endless woods and fields and a creek that went on forever. I lived on the south side of Old Smith Valley Road and there weren’t any subdivisions down there back then. That whole section from the creek down to Olive Branch Road was completely undeveloped. I imagine that area is wall to wall houses by now (I haven’t been back in years so I can’t say) but in those days you could loose a whole day back there.

In contrast to that idyllic memory, my recollection of the people is of crotchety folks who complained constantly if you didn’t put their paper in exactly the right spot or were a few minutes late delivering it and then hid behind their drapes on collection day so they could stiff a 12 year old kid for 35 cents. Maybe it was just the difference between the Times customers and the Star/News customers, I don't know, but I can’t think of anyone on my route who took time just to talk, especially to the paperboy. I sure do wish I knew about your female customers though. I’d have given them a paper for free….

Don’t get me wrong. Growing up in Smith Valley was a wonderful experience. It’s a major part of what I am today. I often feel sorry for the kids that are growing up now. TV, computers, video games, MP3 players, cell phones, soccer, malls, and whatever else, how could they find time for tadpoles and crawdads? Even dealing with the folks on the paper route was a good life lesson. I just didn’t retain as many of the fond memories of it that you have. Maybe it was the way those women paid their bill????

Greybeard said...

UD&CS-
I'm sure we grew up in two entirely different neighborhoods.
My folks sold their home on Morgantown road in the 80's. I think the last time I walked down through the old Valley would have been about '79 or so. Even then, the experience was painful, the old Valley had changed so dramatically.
Modest, but well maintained homes had been allowed to deteriorate. My feeling was that the neighborhood was less cohesive.... more transient.
If true, it's a shame.

I don't think there was that much difference between Star/News and Times customers..... my family took both papers. I suspect you were in on the initial phase of the Old Valley's transition,and were dealing with an entirely different demographic for a customer.

Part of what we are trying to do with this blog, and our mini-reunions, is preserve that feeling of "family" we had while growing up. Our old neighborhood may be history, but our feelings for one another and the foundation we share will always be there. When we meet, we are still Vandy's Kids. Smiles, hugs, and cheerful tears come easily.



I'm glad to read your last paragraph and see you feel your overall experience was a positive one.

Thanks for contributing and sharing, and welcome to blogging! I hope this is the first of many comments.

Purple Tabby said...

For me, growing up on the other end of the township, the Valley might as well have been on another planet.

Now that I know how much fun you guys were having over there, I’m down right peeved that my folks made me live such a underprivileged existence!

No Bee Hive, no Frost Top, no neighborhood slumber parties.

Gosh, it’s no wonder I’ve been screwed up most of my life! I was never properly socialized!

Is it too late to sue my folks? (once a Drama Queen, always a Drama Queen)

the golden horse said...

GB
You are so right about the wonderful memories we made there. Being a genuine Valley Girl, I can testify that hardly a stone went unturned in our treks through the country.
There were few houses that I didn't babysit in, making my first million.
We had free run of the place with few worries except getting home in time for dinner lest we miss it. Then after dinner, since it was too hot to stay indoors, everyone preceded to their front porches and yards for a good old game of hide n seek using the whole neighborhood as our hunting grounds, or tag, or red rover, or statue or mother may I, and so forth.
But, I have to add, I had so many adventures in other parts of Johnson County also, Podunk, all the neighboring ball fields, the river for swimming and fishing, the lake for swimming, Carols, to ride horses all over God's creation, B'Ville was like going to the big city and I always stopped in for a ice cream cone.
Chasing crawdads in the creek. The Gypsies on Smith Valley Road. Wonderful mystery there.
Greenwood was such a wonderful place back then also, Jerry's, where, when I ordered my peppermint sundae with hot fudge, the car hop would say, "Suzan, is that you?"
The Kitchen Drive in, the fish frys with their little carnivals, the community center, I had my own stool at the Beehive and was entertained by Ron for hours on end. What a great place on a snowy Sunday afternoon, with the juke box screaming, Town Without Pity, and Sugarshack.
Riding through all the fields from the Valley to B'Ville. Bikes were an important mode of transportation.
Walden's drug store and the soda fountain, being entertained by Gary P or Harry. Best Cherry rootbeer going.
And you can't leave out the week before Halloween when we would sneak around and toss corn and soap windows. And TP'd those that deserved it.
Then branching out a bit, Riverside, Westlake, Fox's skating rink. And Tiny's restaurant up on 135.
I think memories are made where you are. And you get out of them what you want.
I would never give them up or sell them.

Anonymous said...

Oops, looks like my cynical perspective of my experience as a paperboy left the impression that I hated the people of the Valley. The truth is just the opposite. There were some wonderful folks there; many of them were my aunts and uncles. I couldn’t think of a better environment, people, place, or time, to have for growing up. I just didn’t share your fond memories of the newspaper delivery trade.

There was a kid down the road when I was in 6th grade, Glen Tow, Elaine’s little brother. Glen, known as “Speedy” then, was about 6 or 7 years old and would hang out with us “Big Guys”. Come 9 or 10 pm, when it was time to go home, off Speedy would go, by himself, walking home.

Can you imagine that happening today? If he wasn't kidnapped by some psycho, his parents would get charged with child neglect. No that was a place and time that probably will never happen again.

That brings up a philosophical question: If it was so good, the Mayberry lifestyle, how did we let it get away? Did we (the Boomer generation) do something wrong? Was it our parents fault? Was it TV? Maybe highways and easy transportation? Jack Ripper thought it was fluoridation of the water. Right or wrong, like it or not, history is going to lay the blame for its loss at our feet. I for one, would like to say that it wasn’t my fault but, somehow I have a nagging feeling that maybe in some way, some small part of it was.

the golden horse said...

I think we were the victims of changing times and never saw it coming. I think we thought those days would never end, and it was so gradual, that by the time it was here, it was too late. I think our generation was a good generation and would have and still would, stop it if able to do so.
I think schools and alot of parents have lost control of their children. I think respect is almost passe for so many. I think kids nowadays are being cheated of so much in their schools, no gym, art, music, geography, history, home ec., shop class. Most kids nowadays couldn't do any math without the aid of a calculator. Heaven help them, if they had to do the relay races on the chalkboard we used to do. How many of them ever got to play Fairy Tap or Doggie Doggie whose got the bone? And all while in school.
How many can actually balance a checkbook or know a safe ocean and when to go it, or how to cook when they graduate?
I think all of us are letting today's kids down and they are missing so much.
Then we give them injections with mercury, food with additives, and feed them so much junk and fast food, that we are slowly killing them. We are at a all time high for diabetes and overweight in the US with no relief in site. We put kids on retalin at the first sign of disobedience because they won't sit still in class or want to talk. Well, duh, they are just kids. And the schools get federal aid if they have children on drugs.
Yet, we are all to blame in some small way.
I think kids are being cheated out of their childhood. It is sad.

Greybeard said...

What's the old saw?
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

Is our generation responsible for many of today's ills?
Of course.
But are "Vandy's Kids" responsible for it?
Not so much, I think.

To be fully covered, this subject should be discussed in greater detail at a venue other than this forum. I suggest around the campfire or on the beach at our next mini.
I would argue the world began to change pretty dramatically around '67-'68, and it changed on the left and right coasts first.
Central Indiana changed, but didn't fully accept the values the coasts were adopting, thank God.

Coming home from Viet Nam, soldiers were mistreated as they came through Pacific 'ports. But the core values were still intact when I got to Central Indiana. How wonderful to come "home"!

What a shame that you see much the same thing happening today.
National media and Blue Staters on the coasts seem to have learned nothing from history. What is scary today compared to our mistake back then is that our enemy is not interested in simply terrorizing their own country.... today's enemy is intent on forming the new Caliphate, and they are being aided and abetted by people that haven't learned the basics of Soc. 101 and Psy. 101.

How sad the rest of the country does not share the backbone, (and the common sense), of the heartland.