Sunday, January 28, 2007

Bittersweet

I'll take a shot at this, although trying to put words to feelings will bring on the tears...

I started later than most of you. I was 36 when Big Bubba was born. Most of you have suffered through this and will either totally identify with me, or think me a sentimental fool-
He's leaving this week.

Our relationship with our son has been unique. He's been an odd loner... wanted friends because he felt social pressures... it was "normal" to have friends around. But when he would try to befriend someone, he grew tired of having to do things he had no interest in, or he would quickly become tired of their lack of interest in things he wanted to do. He'd quickly cast them aside.

So, his Mother and I have been his best friends. He's accompanied us on vacation without embarrassment. We've enjoyed watching movies together... old and new. We've had a few tense times, but they've been nothing compared to the stand-offs I can remember having with my Dad.

Now we are counting the hours 'til he'll no longer be in his bedroom downstairs.
He's a DJ at a local radio station, and we are listening to him do his last "Sunday Morning Gospel Hour" show. He's dedicated songs to Sara Jean and I... told us he loves us over the airwaves.
More tears.

His apartment is waiting in Mesa, Arizona... utilities turned on.
"Starter" furniture is purchased. Towels, sheets, and other needs are taken care of.

He's a success.
He's a wonderful human being and a fine, caring Citizen.
We've produced a product we can truly be proud of.
Why is this so hard?

6 comments:

Flygirl said...

Why is it so hard? Simply put:
The hardest things to do in this life is giving up or losing what you love the most. Whether person, passion or both; it's the hardest!
Chin up to you & Sara Jean and thank God for cell phones & computers!
My heart goes out to you on this day of pride & pain.

TwoDogs said...

Well put, FG! Although Mesa is many miles away - He will not be.

BoMarGirl said...

Isn't it a cruel turn? We prepare them and do the best we can so they will be able to be independent; and when we succeed it hurts so, so bad.

I've been where you are. I wonder if we had about 10 kids if we would have had to go through this? HAH! Now that's hard to picture--me with 10 kids...what a mess that would have been. Do you think you would have been better off with 10? Just a thought GB.

the golden horse said...

GB..
I feel for you, having four children of our own, It doesn't get any easier with the last one.
You have children because it is life giving, so you are sad and happy when they go.
Erma Bombeck said it once. In part, "Parents are upset when their children leave because they have gone from supervisor of a child's life to a spectator. Kind of like being the Vice President of the United States."
GB...You and Sara can feel proud that you have given your son all the tools he needs in life and now you get to see what he makes with them.
I bet he will be home more often than you think. After all, his two best friends are there.

Top Cat said...

I don't know how you feel but time will heal. You've raised a wonderful young man to be proud of. He will be a success and someone you can always share stories with to others. Luckily my son and daughter and three granddaughters live within two miles of us. Our granddaughters spend the night once or twice a week and their at or house almost every day. We've been very blessed. Were all with you on that sad day and let the tears flow big guy. God Bless

Carol said...

No matter if you have 10 kids or 1 its very hard when they leave home. You know you will not be with them every day, to see their face and hear their daily stories. Time does help, but you always have that empty feeling that someone is missing. I have 2 sons living in Phoenix, AZ. Maybe we can take a trip to visit our sons.

You will also find out in time, you are not worring about them as much. When they are not home at a certain time, you wonder now, have they been in an accident? When they leave and go out on their own, they take some of that worry with them.
I cried for days when my boys left and went to AZ. Anytime they come home or I go there, I cry everytime when we have to say good by again.

Hang tight and start planning your trips. Winter time is great in Phoenix. Bobby, my son, called today and he was complaining on having to have the air conditioner on. Poor Baby! Someday I would like to retire there and then I would have to leave all my kids and grandkids here in IN or take them all with me. HUMMMMM