Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Myopia

Easy isn't it..... too easy, to look through our own eyes and imagine everyone is dealing with life as we are?

I've had such great experiences at our mini-reunions....
I've been beating the drums trying to insure as many others as possible come and have a similar experience, and of course that is selfish too, because I want to see as many of you as possible. I've personally been a little frustrated because many VK's I'd love to see can't, -or won't- attend. My thought process has gone something like, "Everyone who attends these things seems to enjoy themselves SO MUCH, how can I express to everyone how wonderful these things are?" Through my eyes, It's been my failure to properly communicate with you.

Then, in a comment to the Post below this one, Bo came upside my head with a 2x4, and brought me back to life's realities:

"My mom is 88; dad is 90. Mother has Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Dad just had lower back surgery and now seems to be having mini strokes. My life for the last 8 months or so has been filled with doctor appointments, errands, etc. for them. Some days I have had 2 appointments for one and 2 for the other. By the end of the week I am exhausted; mentally, physically and emotionally. The advantage of being an "only child" you see is not so great. I love them both more than I can express but man oh man are they a challenge. The reason I am telling you all this is to explain that I want to attend the DDFF and right now I am planning to; but I never know what each day will bring in terms of their care."

BMG has a full time job- and by that I mean 24 hours a day, 7 days a week-full time. It's mighty hard to break away for a high school reunion when you are the only one capable of handling that kind of full time job. What surprises me about my own self-centeredness in this is that I helped care for my Dad as his health failed.... and I was fortunate, because Mom carried the major burden of his care, with Mommanurse relieving her whenever she could. I played a relatively minor role caring for him. It's hard to imagine having Bo's responsibility.

So Bo, and anyone else that has a complicated situation which precludes you from being able to make long-term plans, make note:
If you find you can make the DDFF at the last minute, have no fear- we can include you with barely a ripple. Right now our plan is to house two couples in each of the condos, and there is room in each for three couples. If, at the last minute, you decide you can head South to be with us, PLEASE, come on down!
It just won't be a big deal at all.

And to Bo, Fly, and others caring for sick loved ones at this time-
Most of us have either "been there", or we will be there soon.
God Bless you. May he give you strength, and more than that- may he give you patience!

2 comments:

BoMarGirl said...

GB-Thanks so much for understanding my "situation"; AND I didn't want you to feel like I had hit you with a 2 x 4 at all. Just didn't want to mess up your condo plans.

Planning on seeing you all in May (and I guess by then I'll be seeing LESS of you GB, right?)

Flygirl said...

GB-How wonderfully put! Thanks for this support and your past words of encouragement to me.

As we all go through and have gone through this "care taking" phase of life, we tend to become so focused on the responsibilities at hand that we forget ourselves. It's the easy road to take: give up everything else, no energy for anything else, forget about ourselves, forget how to laugh,and sit down at the end of the day staring into space hoping that the phone doesn't ring!

If Bo and others wearing the "care taker's" hat of life can make it to DDFF or any future VK Mini, it will be a well-deserved reward for them. Pounds of effort, but tons of fun.

I'm still marking my calendar for DDFF, but who knows at the last minute??? I'm lucky...it's so close for me; I can be there in a couple of hours! So, Bo and others: There will be room for you with me! Don't give up...keep planning on the trip...give yourself something to look forward to! Hey, last minute arrivals are always a welcome surprise, right?