Saturday, January 20, 2007

Rudolf Wanderone- GBFR Week Three

That name doesn't ring a bell?
How about this one- "Minnesota Fats"?

"Fats" was a neighbor of ours for a while.
He lived in the next town South of ours on the highway, and frequented many of the retail stores I used. You could always tell when Fats was in the area... although basically a nice man, he was very loud and a little crude.
He had that distinctive voice we've all heard during his "Wide World of Sports" pool tournaments against Willy Mosconi. If Fats was in aisle 8 in our local grocery store, you knew he was in the store even if you were in aisle one.

Searching for his picture, I was surprised to find he died in 1996... it just doesn't seem that long ago. Heart failure got him... just one of many reasons I want to get my weight down.

The Saturday weigh-in is complete.
Last week I had lost 2 pounds. That's neat, 'cause my goal is to lose one pound a week, but I was afraid it might mean I was gonna "plateau" this week.
Last Saturday the scale said 203.
This morning, it read...
Mr. Costa, fanfare please!
202.

So I'm still on schedule.
Going about it this slowly, I'm not really suffering.
It's entertaining to hear my stomach growl when I wake, (I make jokes about the "New Madrid Fault" acting up!) But my minor hunger pangs only reinforce that I am on my way to my goal.

Another topic-
Many of you know my son just graduated college and is interviewing for a job.
This week he accepted a position in Mesa, Arizona with a company that makes video games.
He starts February 1st, so we are scrambling to gather the things he'll need to set up housekeeping in his apartment there. While he drives his car, for two 10- hour days we'll follow in a van with his "stuff".
So, it's an exciting and emotional time for us.
I'll keep ya posted.

Now-
Open topic time. I'm sure you've got news to share...
RIGHT?

8 comments:

BoMarGirl said...

GB, Congratulations on the continued weight loss; sounds like you are on your way to anorexia.

We spent 2 mo. in Mesa last winter; I think I saw the company your son will be working with; it's very nice. Matter of fact, I told my son about that company because I thought it looked like a good place to work. I almost applied myself!! HAH! HAH! Congratulations and best wishes to your son and to you. You have raised a good citizen.

Greybeard said...

Responding to your previous comment Bo:
Every time I think of you, I remember building our "homecoming" class floats in LB's barn, and how your work was frequently interrupted by frantic excursions outside when a bird would fly in!
Seagulls may be a problem during the DDFF, but I don't want that to be a disqualifier for you. Surely there are some good chemicals you can find to put you in "Don't worry, be happy" territory, right?
And if necessary, I'll have some of "Uncle Al's" fine medicine to prescribe for you!

BoMarGirl said...

I've worked on ignoring birds...I don't cause a scene too often. But if they get next to me, "the show begins". I live with birds here and I can live them at DDFF; just hope I don't embarrass anyone. If I go off, just tell people I was the one who rode the short yellow bus to school.

the golden horse said...

Congrats again there GB..
Quick note for all you avaiation buffs. In Dec. they opened our brand new aviation museum.
Quick note to BMG..No seagulls or pelicans over here, come on over.

BoMarGirl said...

GH - Most every DAY I wish that I was in Hawaii--If I can make the trip I'm coming. I may have to buy cancellation insurance but that's o.k.; can't wait to see you and The Aloha State!

the golden horse said...

BMG

Last minute trip is okay with us. Just come as you are and bring your teddy bear. Sometimes during that part of the year, the flight prices are good. If possible Monday through Thursday usually cheapest.
Anyway, sure hope to see you all.

Flygirl said...

GB: Another week/Another pound...you're on your way to making a weight-loss commercial!

BO: If you'll make it to the DDFF, I'll make sure the birds stay away from you! I promise! I'm with GB & "Uncle Al's" fine meds. Boy, you can always count on GB for a solution to any problem. He's such a "fixer"!!! My Hero!!

Also, I'm going to try to make the November Aloha Puka Party too. I doubt if HB will make that trip. He's worse that Ferdy when it comes to planes! I don't know if I'm up to the "Drug & Drag" routine with him. But, I'm on the "most hopeful" list for Puka-Puka!

GH: I'm really looking forward to seeing you again!!! We will wear you out! I'm in the same boat as BMG...I'll probably need to get travel insurance for this trip. I've made 2 trips from FL to HA, and it's a real killer!!! But maybe I can stop in Indy and pick up BO and her Teddy Bear! Ha!!

the golden horse said...

FG
This is fine with me. Last minute trips are welcome.
I am so ready to be worn out by all of you.
If you aren't interested in staying in Waikiki, there is a resort on the leeward side called Ko olina. It is a Marriott resort and has it all. Beauty, isolation, very close to us. Don't know if you are interested. A good travel agent could probably get a decent price for you.
Also there are about a million Vacation homes for rent all over the island. There are some places I would avoid, but others are wonderful. I will check some other options for you also.
If this is a option, I will be glad to go check it out.
If you check on the map, we are at the mouth of Pearl Harbor on the lower left side.
Our housing area has tennis, basketball, fitness room, walking paths, right on the beach with lots of shade. Great views of Honolulu and Diamond Head and sunsets. We have a couple of bikes here for usage also. It's one stop shopping.
We can watch the Navy ships come and go right here.
We can have cookouts here very easily.
If anyone is into horseback riding we have a ranch that they shoot alot of movies on and I have taken this ride. Very easy and nice.
They have shot, Jurassic Park here (remember the big field where all the dinos are running), rode right through there, Windtalkers and more.
If you have some interests, let me know and I will research for you.