Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Vandy Update

I went to see Mr. Vandermeer today, unfortunately it was not at Country Charm where he lives. He is at Johnson County Hospital. He has been there 2 1/2 or 3 weeks.

When I got to the hospital, Dorothy Clemmens and Bill Vandermeer's wife (I think her name is Carol) were there. Bill is to be in next weekend. They caught me up on what is going on. Vandy has been given 4 units of blood so far for bleeding internally. The surgeon hopes the bleeding will take care of itself without surgery. Gallstones were also found, but the doctors feel they are not giving him pain. No surgery is planned for anything due to his heart condition.

Mr. Vandermeer knows everyone who is there, but he was very sleepy. He apologized for being grumpy. I stayed about 45 minutes and told him I would see him in a couple of days. He thanked me for coming.

I do not see Mr. Vandermeer moving back to his room at Country Charm any time soon. I know Mr. Vandermeer can sure use our thoughts, prayers and maybe a card.

His address is: Johnson County Hospital
1125 Jefferson Street
Franklin, Indiana 46131
Melvin Vandermeer Room 283A

Hawkeye

6 comments:

Greybeard said...

Thanks Hawk.
Keep the updates coming, please.
(And congrats on overcoming your VK glitches!)

Flygirl said...

Really appreciate the Vandy info. It's just sad to hear about his health problems. I'm so glad that you went to see him...thanks!
I hope he rallies...keep us updated. I'll get a card out tomorrow to him. You're wonderful to visit him!

Purple Tabby said...

Thank you SO much Hawkeye. I'm so glad you could visit him and send us this update.

Four units! That's a lot! He should feel MUCH better after that,, even if the good feeling doesn't seem to last very long.

Hopefully, he can go to the Skilled Unit at Franklin and then maybe back to Country Charm.

I’ll send a card, too, Fly. I wish Vandy Candy would make it all better

Flygirl said...

PT-I think Vandy is in need of more than Vandy Candy...Wish it could cure all of his ills.

But miracles do happen...and I've got my fingers crossed for one.

BoMarGirl said...

Hawkeye - Thanks for the update on Mr. V. I hope he will get much better with the hospital care. I'm SO HAPPY that you went to see him. How can we ever express how much he means to us? I will send him a card and say my prayers.

Hawkeye said...

Update about Mr. Vandermeer: I visited him today about 4:00 PM at the hospital. He was sitting up in his chair. He knew exactly who I was and was happy to see me. He appeared much stronger and more alert than last time. He again apologized for not being “entertaining” last Sunday when I was there. I stayed about an hour today, Feb.14.

I heard about the “JOE STORY” again. We talked about Mr. Wilson and how he (Vandy) got the rule of “3 days or 3 whacks” from him. We talked about how great the class of ‘65 was and the fact we didn’t go to Washington DC. We talked about the hybrid engine/transmission. He asked me if that was the car that ran on both electricity and gasoline. So, I would say the guy was very sharp and more informed than most people. He talked about liking to read the newspaper, but missing discussing the paper with his late wife Margaret. He also talked about telling his wife in 1955, before she originally joined him here in the Center Grove area, to never talk about anyone in a bad way to anyone else, because everyone here is related to each other…the Dotys, the Suttons, and etc. I know everyone has heard these stories before, but it was good to hear him remembering and telling the stories as only he can.

I left shortly after he got his dinner. When I left he was eating a hamburger and French fries and some “damn” carrots. I am so glad to relay this better news. The last time I was there felt very grim. This time I didn’t get any medical news, but maybe just seeing him happy, talking and eating was better. I told him everyone was concerned about him. He said, “Tell them the Old Man is going to make it”.

On a different note……I don’t know if you remember the basketball coach and history teacher at CGHS, Harold Hickman, I read that he past away last week. Also, Ronnie Hughes’ sister, Cheryl, passed away about three weeks ago.