Tuesday, March 13, 2007

13 March DDFF Update-

Not much to report in the way of changes from my last, except that Joker will be stopping by to meet and greet DDFF participants.
I've also invited Mommanurse to come by and visit with us, her schedule permitting.

So the updated list still looks like this-
Staying at Gulf Winds East:
Cinders and TwoDogs
Sharon and TC
Sara Jean and Greybeard
FlyGirl and HB.

Commuting/stoppin' by-
Carol and Harry
Joker and ?
and maybe Mommanurse.

Hey Fly-
any update on the possibility of me seeing Jackie for the first time since May of 1965? That would be fabulous!

I dug up some websites for you to peruse.
Some are good.
Some, like the one for Silver Sands Outlet Mall, are a little disappointing.

There is another site with somewhat redundant info about Gulf Winds East here.

One of the things I think we'd all enjoy is a Dolphin Cruise.
In addition to seeing lots of Dolphins, this cruise gives you a tour of the Destin Harbor, and includes some of the history of Destin and the surrounding area.


Twenty minutes West of Destin on Okaloosa Island is the Gulfarium. They have shows featuring several types of sea critters.

Eden Gardens State Park is a short drive East of Destin, where you can see many of the flowers/plants/trees indigenous to the area, along with a home that reminded me of "Tara" from "Gone With the Wind" that you can tour.

I like caves. My family was pleasantly surprised when, years ago, we stopped and walked through Florida Caverns. This might be a good activity on a rainy day?

For those with an interest in Military Aircraft and hardware,
The Air Force Armament Museum has lots of interesting aircraft on display, to include the SR-71 Blackbird, a B-52, and my beloved Huey helicopter. It's a short drive North from Destin.
Ninety minutes West in Pensacola, we could tour The Naval Aviation Museum. This would be an all-day affair because of the drive, and the fact that there are lots and lots of things to see here, along with an IMAX theatre presentation. But there are great places to eat in Pensacola, so if there's enough interest, we'll consider it.

Sara Jean LOVES... LOVES! the Silver Sands Outlet Mall.
Coach, Nautica, Eddie Bauer, Bose, Polo/Ralph Lauren, and other brand name manufacturers have stores in the mall. (We can go at night, after we have eaten too much... and walk the calories off!)

I've said before, my main fear at reunions is that we try to do too much. My perception of our minis is that they are wonderful because they have been low-key with smaller groups of people, and we have been able to move around and converse comfortably, making it easy for everyone to visit as much and with who(m?)ever ya want. There'll be plenty of time for visiting for everyone, but I sure want everyone to leave with a warm heart and a smile on their face.
I want your input, both now and in Destin!

One last thing-
It's not too late, you slaggards! C'mon now...
you know this is gonna be a ball. If you miss it-
YOU'LL BE SORRY!

3 comments:

The Joker said...

If anyone visits the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola and also happens to love Mexican food,
may I recommend the Screaming Coyote Mexican restaurant. It's at 196 N. Palafox St. in Pensacola.
It has a small mini bar of just hot sauces...and I mean HOT. I love hot sauces but even I couldn't eat the hottest sauce they had (they do offer milk in case your mouth is on fire). They also make their own chips. It was kind of a dive, but the food was great!

Greybeard said...

Sounds like the BeeHive, Joker!

Oh wait... that was a Cheeseburger, fries, and a Pepsi there, wasn't it?

Flygirl said...

GB-
I've put the pressure on Jackie to make the DDFF. She's on the "hope to make it" list Her last email reported that her husband, Dave, wants to check out that area. So, I hope that you can move her from the "hope to" list to the "I'm in" list.

Great, if Joker and Mommanurse show up! I'd love to make the Screamng Coyote... Pass chips & salsa!

There so much to do in that area! HB is an old Air Force-er and enjoys military musemus,etc. I think we might have visited the one you mentioned. I've got a pic of HB sitting in a Wart Hog?? Does this sound right? All this from a man that requires drugs to fly...go figure?