Saturday, March 10, 2007

GBFR, Week Ten- Setback

See that look?
If there had been a mirror over my scale this morning, that's the reflection I'd have seen.

The number last week was 196.
But there were more obstacles along the way this week...
My student enjoyed taking the helicopter to "The Texas Roadhouse" so much, he wanted to do it again. Ribs, baked potato... delicious, and enough for two meals.

And then came the buffet.
Two days of company training, and my employer provided lunch both days- a wonderful buffet line. Those two days provided a double whammy: Two hours of driving to get to those meetings added up to a twelve-hour day, and exercise was the last thing I wanted to do.

So... this morning I approached the scale as if I was facing a coiled, ready-to-strike rattlesnake.
And my fears were realized...
The scale said 200 pounds.
200 pounds! How is that possible?

Last night was my first night back to work. This morning I got up and had two big cups of coffee, then I had another during my 45 minute drive home. But could that amount to 4 or five pounds?

Dismayed, I went to bed. I woke twice to go to the bathroom... my spirits brightened a little.

Back to the scale with interest... could I be back on track?
Well, almost...
I slid the little weight, and the scale said 196.
Unbelievable! Six hours of sleep. Two trips to the bathroom.
Four pounds of liquids gone!


So it's a minor miracle, and a victory of sorts-
The Texas Roadhouse and two days down the buffet line kept me from losing a pound, but at least my fears of this morning weren't realized.

It's SO much harder to lose weight now than it once was! It's hard to get myself motivated to get my buns moving and do the necessary exercise to burn this fat. But now I have two pounds to lose next week in order to stay on my schedule. Beam your good thoughts my way, please.

Now...
Open topic time. It's great to see Mr. Legan commenting.
Bill, if you're interested I'll work with you so you can contribute posts on your own. It's interesting to hear views of those days from the other side of the desk!
And Joker... I'm with PT. I want to hear more about your furballs!

Sara Jean and I have good things to look forward to... we're headed to Chicago in two weeks to attend her best friend's birthday party. Then the following week we're flying back to Mesa, Arizona to visit with Big Bubba. Returning from that trip, the DDFF will be just over the horizon!
Come on down, everyone!

(Don't forget your clocks tonight, VK's!)

4 comments:

BoMarGirl said...

I can't believe you ate all that food and didn't gain a pound! Atta boy,GB. I wouldn't have been able to get my jeans on after those meals. I'm pea green with envy but wish you well on being 2 lbs. lighter next week.

PT - Spring is in the air here in White River Township, even though we still have about a 6" snow drift in front of the house where the sun can't shine. I may get my sister-in-law's old tube tire bicycle out for a spin (maybe to the neighbor's and back) to celebrate our fair weather.

You've come a long way already with your paralegal course...I'm SO proud. You are my inspiration. After dealing with a couple of attorneys, I think we all should do what you are.

The Joker said...

GB,
I just posted to Mr Legan's blog about my "furballs". Check it out.

You should be proud of yourself for sticking to your goal of losing 1 lb a wk. I usually set unrealistic weight loss goals and then get frustrated, and then quit the diet.

Greybeard said...

From the class of '66's blog, some sad news I hadn't heard before.

BoMarGirl said...

GB, You didn't know that Mark passed away or his dad?

I was working at C.G. when Mark died. He was a very heavy smoker unfortunately and it got him. He died in his sleep. I guess he told Susie before he went to sleep that night he was very tired.

Mark, as you know, was the greatest and had a wonderful sense of humor. He taught Math and Computer Programming and he was very smart with the computers. So smart he had to help start up the computer system at the high school and help EVERYONE who needed their computer or system to work. He was way, way overloaded with work in my opinion. Of course, his sudden death was heartbreaking for me. He was a good friend to everyone.

I DO NOT KNOW IF FLY WILL REMEMBER THIS BUT I HAVE TO TELL THIS STORY

Mark and I talked and laughed about this more than once when we were working at C.G. (FLY WERE YOUR EARS BURNING??)

Mark, Fly and I took Accounting from Mrs. Howard and sat in the front table near the door. For some reason (Mark and I could never understand) she let our table carry on and talk and laugh. She would yell at the kids in the back to keep quiet and threaten them with their lives if they didn't quit talking but she never said one word to us and I think we were the worst of the bunch; in fact I know we were.

One day, Fly had a black ink pen and unknowingly had made long black streaks that came from her nose. There were A LOT of black long marks on Fly's beautiful face, coming out of her nose!! Well, Mark and I got hysterical. We were laughing so hard we couldn't tell Fly why we were laughing. She looked like Laurel or Hardy!! Mark and I laughed until we cried. Fly, so innocent to her appearance, kept asking, "what's wrong?" "what's so funny?" That made us laugh more and Fly just kept it up with the black pen and made MORE streaks on her face! Mrs. Howard never said a word, just kept on trying to teach. Somehow, we got ourselves together and finally told Fly why we were laughing. I think I suggested that she get her mirror out and look at herself. I still laugh when I think how funny she looked.....sorry Fly but it was and still is funny after all these years; AND Mark thought so too bless his heart. We still don't know how or why Mrs. Howard let us ignore her and entertain ourselves but we did.