Thursday, March 08, 2007

Fillin' In Some Blanks

Again, from Mr. Legan:

Answers to some questions found on Vandy's Kids:
MR. SHOTT(SP) was the vice-principal before Vandy assumed that role.
MR. WOODROW WILSON was Principal and was over both the h.s. and elem. when I began teaching in 1957. Later he was elevated to Supervisor, and Vandy assumed principal, then when a superintendent was named, Mr. Schulte, the position Mr. Wilson had was no longer there, and he finally left CG. He was the best principal I had ever worked under in my 38 ½ years of teaching. You knew where you stood with him. He made me a teacher.
MR. CLASHMAN was the principal at the elem. school, and taught one class of senior civics at the high school. He was my principal when I began at CG, and a week before the 1958-59 school year he passed, and no one was sure why he died. I did go the funeral at Deputy, IN near Madison, IN. Mr. Clashman was a bachelor, and was a good principal. Mr. Otto J. Sloop, became principal of the elem. school after Mr. Clashman's death. Mr. Sloop was a teacher at the high school in Franklin at the time before he came to CG. He had taught me grades 7 and 9, and became my mentor, and made me appreciate the subject he taught, Mathematics, and that is why I became a math teacher. I taught elem. at CG on a permit for 4 years then to jr. hi teaching math and social studies.
MR. WILBUR HARDIN: Mr. Hardin was brought into the school system about my 5th year teaching at CG. He came from Morristown, IN, and became the jr. principal at CG. He began teaching in 1939 at CG and was relieved of his job because he was too strict. He was a good man too. He eventually became supt. of CG schools.
MR. ALVIE SURFACE: The custodians made me a teacher too. I would go to them before I went to the principal for items. Bob Scott and Basil Briggs were good custodians. Alvie always had a cigar in his mouth. The fire alarm in the middle building had to be pulled with a vertical rod for it to go off. One day we were to have a fire drill, and I saw Alvie about ready to pull the alarm, and I asked him to puff some of that cigar smoke in my room. When the alarm sounded the kids actually thought the building was on fire. I could be fired for that if I still taught today. Alvie was a wonderful man.
What ever happened to Mr. Buntin????
That is memory lane on March 8, 2007.
Hope to see you at the CG banquet on June 2nd. It will be my first time to attend.
Respectfully yours,
Mr. Legan

Thanks, Mr. Legan!
I bet your note instigates a few more questions.

8 comments:

The Joker said...

Thank you, Mr. Legan, for filling in some blanks that I know we all had. Very interesting. It could have been after Mr. Clashman's death that the whole school had to have polio shots and so everyone assumed that Mr. Clashman had died of polio.

Mr. Hardin was the dean at CG for awhile in the 60's. My father, Paul S., son of Alvie Surface, also drove a school bus for CG in the 60's. My father told me that Mr. Wilbur Hardin was his football coach at CG when he was in school (late 30's-early 40's).

BoMarGirl said...

Mr. L,
Did our class go to the Library once a week like Golden Horse and Mr. Hillenberg's class?

If there were 5 classes of 6th grade students, I wonder how many total were in 6th grade that year.

Anonymous said...

I believe we did go to the library in groups to the high school library. In my 6th grade class in 1958-59 I had around 53 students. I don't have any idea the enrollment in the other classes but I assume them to be about the same size as mine.Thanks for the questions. Mr. Legan

Purple Tabby said...

Hi Mr. L. Thank you so much for the lovely letter. I really and truly intended to answer you long before now.

Yes, Kent is one of my brothers and he lives in North Carolina now.

I think I found an address in Greenwood for Mr. Hillenburg. I plan to call him and see if he can Blog with us. It would be fun to see what he remembers about us since so many of us LOVED his class

My Law&Order classes have been kicking my butt and I haven't done much else but study. I love the challenge though. Still, having 2 finals in one day and a paper due the next has given new meaning to Fast Forward for me. Tuesday, we start 2 new classes!!! Happy Happy, Joy Joy!

In other news: Hawkeye, I know this is in the wrong entry, but thanks so much for staying in touch with Vandy and keeping us posted. I'm so glad he is doing better and I know he loves your visits

I received a nice note from Bill for all of us. He really appreciates everything the VKs have done for Vandy. As soon as I have time, I will ask Bill if it’s okay to post his note,,, and then I’ll git’r done!

Joker, how many pups do you have now? Details, we need details from the VK Chief of MidWoofery

Back to the books. BTW is anyone else impressed that Word has some buttons that will automatically format footnotes and bibliography? No thinking to it!

OMG! Remember doing all that stuff on a regular typewriter? Having to save space at the bottom of the page, etc? And if you made a typo, you would have to start all over again. Of course I tried using the eraser method and usually ended up with a hole in my paper. OMG just shoot me NOW if I ever have to work that hard again!

BTW for those still knee deep in snow, it's a sunny and mild 70+ degrees in Dallas today! ;)

BoMarGirl said...

I thought we got polio shots in first grade because the serum was available. Wasn't Mr. Shutt our principal in first grade? AS YOU CAN TELL I'M IN A STATE OF CONFUSION! PLEASE HELP QUICK

Joker, tell us about your puppies; I'm a dog lover!

The Joker said...

I didn't come to CG until the second grade and it was either that year or the next (I think) that we got polio shots at school.

As far as puppies, I have 5 new babies born on Sunday. I also have two 6 mo. old babies, and 4 adult dogs. Help! I'm living in a frickin' kennel! It's my own fault because I take in strays, I check dog shelters on the internet and have gotten dogs that way, and I've even paid for dogs. I read, not too long ago, that hoarding dogs is a mental illness. OMG! lock me up now. LOL Am I going to be one of these old women you see on animal cops that has 50 dogs and they have to come out and confiscate them all? I hope not! Actually I'm going to sell the new puppies as soon as they're old enough (they are purebred min. poodles) and I know someone who wants one of my other dogs. Keep me in mind if you know of anyone who wants a reg. mini poodle.

BoMarGirl said...

I would love to have one of your dogs but I have a Cairn Terrier and a Beagle (inherited from my son). The dog hair gets knee high at times especially when the beagle gets nervous...I didn't know Beagles go nuts and their hair comes out like falling rain when they get afraid or nervous...another lesson learned too late!

Thinking more on the Polio shot issue; I think you are right; 2nd grade seems more like the time we had those shots. I remember my doctor, Dr. Brown, was there and gave me my shot. Maybe Janet's mother, Dr. Barnes was also giving shots.

Joker, where did you attend first grade or were you one of those precocious children who didn't need first grade?

Bo

The Joker said...

Bo,
Oh, I needed first grade, for sure! I attended an Indianapolis school for kindergarten and first grade, then my family decided they had enough of the city.

Did you know that poodles do NOT shed and they are very smart. Mine have a lot of champions in their pedigree, too. I also have a beagle/mix and he sheds year around, so I know what you mean about all the hair.