Saturday, April 07, 2007

More News From Mr. Legan-

Another note from Mr. Legan that might be of interest to some of you:

"I received THE FRANKLIN COLLEGE MAGAZINE recently, and noticed another former CG teacher had passed away. His name was Carlie Cardwell about 72. As I pondered my memory as I went to bed last night trying to decide when Carlie came to CG to teach the sixth grade I think that he took the place of Mr. Hillenburg when he left to teach in Marion County. It had to be my third year at CG. We were still in the middle building, and he had taken Mr. Hillenburg's room on the SW corner of the building. Carlie was a Franklin College graduate. He only stayed a year or two, and I don't think his contract was renewed. I don't know why. He always wanted to be in competition with my class in achieving and doing better. I was never in agreement with those actions in which he wanted to pursue. I guess that he finally wound up as a teacher later as a principal in the Indianapolis School System. Our paths never crossed after he left CG."

I don't remember Mr. Cardwell, but thought some of you '66-ers might, so I thought I'd post Mr. Legan's news about him.

3 comments:

up, down & charmingly strange said...

I was in Mr. Cardwell’s class for 6th grade (59-60). I believe that it was his first year at CG. I think that I would have to call him the most memorable teacher that I ever had. I don’t know that he was that effective of a teacher, but he had one of those personalities that you never forget.

I remember an ongoing feud that he had with the music teacher (I’ve forgotten her name). He had thrown her out of his classroom and told her not to come back. When she arrived for her next scheduled class, he threw a softball at her. He missed but was put on probation for the incident.

Funny the things that you remember about a person. I’m really sorry to hear that he’s gone.

Purple Tabby said...

Well, I think I know why his contract wasn't renewed!!
Was the music teacher Mrs. Ford? Holy Cow! I think she had been there since they built the place.
I can't imagine why he thought it was a good idea to throw a softball at her (or anything else)!
LOL An interesting career move.
Now if he had thrown bricks at Mrs. Tearman, well, that would have been,, well, it would have been wrong and I truly would have scolded him AFTER I finished cheering!

Anonymous said...

Jogging my memory I do remember the incident or incidents of the music teacher. Mrs. Ford. I believe was the Art teacher and lived at Bargersville, but I can see the music teacher's face but cannot remember her name.
I hope to attend the June 2nd 2007 CG Alumini Banquet with my wife, and I hope that I can once again meet you as adults.
It has been 50 years almost when I began teaching at CG, and left in 1964. I came back a couple of times but my memories and my heart did not forget CG and my 7 years teaching the students in that wonderful place. Mr. L