Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Mesa Report

We're safely home from Arizona.
Wow, what a whirlwind the past five days have been! I'm sorry we've been so busy, because so far, except for the drive from Sky Harbor International to Mesa, and our drive from Flagstaff with the moving Van, we've seen very little of Arizona. With all that's available in the State that's a shame, and is something we'll begin to change on our next trip out.


This Midwestern boy still doesn't care much for the fact that the main crop of the area seems to be ROCKS. I was also a little shocked by Big Bubba's admonition to keep Desi on a pretty short leash at night because Scorpion stings can be fatal to small dogs!
But there certainly is much to be said in praise of Phoenix in general and Mesa in particular:
The weather was as near perfect as it could be for our five day stay-
Temperatures during the day settled around 85 degrees... nights were in the mid-60's. Walking just after sunset was nothing short of delightful.
Rush hour traffic, like most cities this size, is bad. But around Mesa it seems to move pretty well at other times. There are lots of shopping centers and places to eat near Big Bubba's apartment... many within walking distance.

The Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, and many, many other attractions are within a day's drive of Phoenix, and we want to start reaching out to visit them. Sara Jean has never seen the Grand Canyon, so that is a priority during one of our trips West.
We are already planning a trip back to Phoenix in July, when the daytime temps will top 100 degrees. Thank God for air conditioning!

Back to the real world-
I got on the scale this morning and this trip has taken its toll on my weight-loss program. I've gained 3 pounds since my last weigh-in, so I have to lose at least four to remain on my schedule for Saturday. It's my intent to avoid having to lose more than a pound a week, so the fact that I've gained this much is disheartening...
We walked almost every day, and a couple days we walked nearly three miles. How much exercise am I gonna have to do in order to maintain a steady weight?

Jeesh!

It's a little more than two weeks 'til we leave for the DDFF.
I'm sure lookin' forward to it!

2 comments:

Top Cat said...

Sounds like you were really busy. But anytime spent with the kids is great. When Sharon and I went out in Feb. we took a day and saw the Grand Canyon for the first time. It was a beautiful sight a must see for you and Sara Jean in the future. Sharon had a bad day today had to put our big Lab down. It was by her side every minute. Our three granddaughters spent the night last night the five year old dosen't quite understand and really misses her. Time will heal. Can't wait to see everyone at DDFF. Graybeard do you have a cell phone number? Sharon and I get in to Fort Walton Beach airport at 4:56 PM May 1. Flight Delta DL4557. Can someone pick us up are do I need a rental.Thanks guys take care.

Greybeard said...

Man, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your Lab. Time does smooth things out, but ya still miss 'em like losing any member of the family, TC.
You may remember we lost our little Dachshund two years ago... he was hit and killed while chasing a squirrel across the road. A few nights ago, Sara Jean and I were watching the movie "Michael". There is a scene near the end of the movie where the little terrier runs across the street and is hit and killed. I couldn't believe my reaction... the tears flowed like we had just lost Frankie all over again. Tell Sharon to let the tears flow any time they want.

My cell number is on the way via email, TC. There'll be a welcoming committee to meet ya at Okaloosa airport on May 1... depend on it!