Thursday, July 05, 2007

Wishing you all a wonderful 4th

Today we took our yearly pilgramage to Pearl Harbor. Like so many of our parents, my dad served in the military and served with the US Navy and was at Pearl Harbor and Tokyo Bay among other places, after the Dec. 7th attack. He joined when he was 17 and my grandmother had to sign for him. He also got to cross the equator and in return got to do the rites of passage and have his ear pierced. I still have his earring.
I am not sure why, maybe we go every year because it makes me feel closer to him in some way. He was a torpedoman on a submarine, but didn't really talk about the war much.

As we were driving throughout the base, I always see new things from the trip before.
When we get to the old buildings, I almost expect to see Frank Sinatra, John Wayne, Cary Grant, Gregory Peck, or Jimmy Stewart coming walking down the sidewalk in their summer whites.
Since my husband works for the Navy here, he knows Pearl Harbor like the back of his hand and I enjoy his tours. We would come across old buildings and imagine what went on in them. There are the old Marine Barracks and the hospital and so many others. Thank Goodness they are on the Historical list and can't be destroyed. I can't imagine this place without them.
There is the little house on Ford Island that John Wayne used while making In Harm's Way.

Today, we actually had some ships and subs in, they have been pretty busy lately and have been to parts unknown. When in port like today, they dress them up with banners and flags and it is quite a site to see. We had in several Japanese Ships and they too, dressed their ships in honor of our holiday. They love coming to Hawaii and we have the largest Japanese cemetary here outside of Japan for sailors of so many years ago. They come to honor them.

So today, I wish you all a wonderful 4th of July.

2 comments:

Top Cat said...

Thanks Golden Horse. Sharons dad is a Pearl Harbor survivor not many left. Sharons excited about being there in November to see all the sights then come back and talk to her dad about all she saw. Soon all World War II guys will be gone. Life sure goes by quick. We all need to stop and smell the roses. Alot of times I sit and wonder what I really taught my kids about life. I'm not sure they know what the true simple pleasures of life are all about. I think I've even forgotten many of them.

the golden horse said...

TC
You are so welcome. I can't wait to sit down and really get to talk with you guys.
I think you will have a wonderful, nostalgic visit. Bring tons of film.
You have to take the Ole Missouri tour. They have done such an amazing job refurbising her and the docents that lead the tour are amazing.
There is a wonderful story here about one of the Japanese pilots coming over and making friends with a Navy survivor here. They have been friends for many years now and every year he sends a huge bouquet of red roses for the Arizona Memorial.
We have many Pearl survivors living here and they meet each year. I wonder if any of them are friends of her dads?
I get choked up everytime they show them on our TV here. They still stand so tall and have such pride.
Even this late in life many come from the mainland for these celebrations on Dec. 7.
If you can find out what ship her dad was on, we might be able to find it in one of the museums here.
My husband found my dad's sub and took pics.
Knowing you and Sharon, I am sure you have taught your children some incredible things about life and now you will be able to share even more.