Sunday, July 01, 2007

VANDY UPDATE

Sorry it has been so long between updates. I go to see Vandy about every Thurday or Friday. He has been about the same for weeks. He seems to be feeling OK. He still has his sense of humor and loves to tell stories.

He had some tests a couple of weeks ago. His daughter-in-law, Carol says that some of his tests didn’t come back very good. The tests were on his heart and something to do with his hemoglobin.

I don’t think he will be going back to Country Charm. He needs so much help now. I saw him last Friday, 6-30-07, and he had fallen off of the “throne” and has a very black eye “a shiner” and a badly bruised arm. He was taken to the hospital for x-rays and nothing was broken. He sure looks bad with all the bruising on his face. He told me, AS ONLY Vandy could, that I SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE OTHER GUY.

He tells me about the “kids” who visit him. He loves the cards and care packages that he has received; keep sending him stuff, you make his day! Again his address: Village Pavilion Health Care Center, Melvin A VanDermeer, Room 109, 283 S. Smock Drive, Greenwood, IN 46143 – Telephone 317-881-0890.

Sorry I missed the Destin get together. Sounds like you had a ball.

Sorry about your Dad Bo.

Yes, Greybeard and I are related. We are brothers, right bro?

Barb and I are going back down to Florida this Tuesday, July 3rd to work on her mom’s Tampa house. We will be back the 10th of July. We have the outside done and now begin to work on the inside.

3 comments:

Greybeard said...

Brothers? Absolutely Hawk!
And our links are in some ways stronger because they are voluntary, rather than forced by actual family ties.

Thank you so much for visiting Vandy, and for keeping us updated on his condition!

Thanks too to all those remembering Vandy with cards, letters, and goodies. I've scolded others here at VK for not contributing, but I have to admit that I've been a typical "guy" about taking the time to send something to Mr. V. That omission will be corrected as of this morning!

Yeah, you and Hotlips missed a very special time in Destin. Get your Tampa chores under control so that you can at least spend a day or two at the DDFF on your way down or back next time.

Looking forward to seein' you both at Echo's!

Top Cat said...

Hawk your great I know you mean the world to Vandy. Glad someone cares to go see him. Think the younger generation will come and see us. Right! Hope you can make DDFF next year it was really great. GB did a great job setting everything up. Remember going to Hawaii in November. Everyone should try and make this one. Sharon and I just got back from a week in Colorado. Caught alot of trout GB and went four wheeling in the mountains every afternoon. Had a big Fish Fry Thursday night just like DDFF. Sharons becoming quite the four wheeler. Flygirl you won't believe this but I started working out last week at The Pit Gymn. I'm working out with a couple of 72 and 80 year old men. Get there at 5:30 AM three days a week.Yuck! These guys really look great its a shame I have to lower the weight I use compared to them. I better catch up quick before they throw me out. Can someone update me on the date for Echos get together? Need to get in my calander. I don't know how you guys remember all the good old days I can't remember what I did yesterday. I do read this all the time everyone keep sending. I've typed about 15 different comments and each can't send it. I'm not the best wizard at computers. I think I've finally figured this out. Everyone be save and God Bless!

Purple Tabby said...

Perhaps I should introduce myself!? Sorry it's been so long since I wrote but school (and life) has been kicking my butt.

Anyway, about Vandy. So he took a header off the throne! Hmmm Well, my assessment is:
1) he was having to work too hard at taking care of business or
2) he was bored and fell asleep or
3) he was going for an Olympic score that had a higher degree of difficulty and/or creativity.

So here's my plan (please join in at ANY point)
1) a box of Fiber One
2) figs soaked in rum (the rum insures that he will eat them)
3) big sunglasses to cover his shiner
4) make-up for the shiner and other landing sites
5) games to play while concentrating on the throne (just to ward off boredom
6) a crash helmet,, preferable something soft like the Cheese Head hats.

I have the cereal, the figs and the sunglasses,,, and a game.

Anyone got a crash helmet? One that needs appropriate decorations?

Anyone still got any Merle Norman around? Maybe add a little blusher to make him look rosy? (tell him if he puts on too much he will also have to wear a coconut bra, a grass skirt and sing "There ain't nothin' like a dame."

Echo, I hope you are feeling better. Good grief, what a close call!

Hope everyone has a Happy 4th. Stay dry and safe. Send all your unwanted snorkel equipment to Texas, please.