Friday, August 10, 2007

SAD NEWS

I just learned that Bill Porter; who was one of our teachers in high school, passed away last night. He lived accross the street from my mom and dad in Greenwood. Bill had been diagnosed with bone cancer in May. I am so sad to learn that he died. He was always nice to me in school and a good friend as a neighbor to my folks.



I don't know any details about his funeral or calling. It will probobly be in The Daily Journal and the Indianapolis Star tomorrow or Saturday.

2 comments:

Greybeard said...

"Flat Top" Bill! Nice man.
Mr. Porter taught a couple classes I took during Jr. High...(Health?),
and was my Driver's Ed. instructor.
Sorry to hear he's gone, particularly due to bone CA...
another of those NOT NICE ways to die.

Hawkeye said...

Harry W. 'Bill' Porter burial will be 11 a.m. Tuesday at Our Lady of Greenwood Catholic Church.
Friends may be received from 10 a.m. to time of Mass on Tuesday at the church.
Flinn and Maguire Funeral Home in Franklin is handing arrangements.
I was a student manager for Mr. Porter on the baseball team for 1 year and 3 or 4 years on the basketball team. I was in his class room and drivers ed . If it was world series time we could listen to it in the drivers ed car. He was always fair and as a teacher and coach brought out the best of his students and players. Always had a smile. Thank-you Mr. Porter for making me a better person.