Thursday, September 13, 2007

I Forgot

Thank God for the internet. All too often I'll forget something and all I have to do is start a search, use the right words here and there, and Voila!... there's my answer.

But this time it didn't work that way.
For some time I had been puzzling over the Drive-In's name. And I'm not talking Drive-In movie now, I'm talkin' Drive-In restaurant.

Just for fun, this post will be one I'll update after someone comes up with the correct answer, and I'll tell you "The rest of the story".

The Drive-In was East of Indianapolis on U.S. Highway 40.

I remember it was far enough out of town that I didn't go often, but it was unique in a couple ways:
They served a Pork Tenderloin sandwich the size of the hubcap off a Buick Electra 225, and-
there was a movie screen on the East side of the lot, where you could watch a movie while you ate your order.

Ever been there? Can ya remember the name of the place?

Update comin' up when we have a correct answer!


Al Green's!
TD is right... (and may be the only other soul awake at this hour!)
You may have noticed "The Whiteland Barn" is now one of our "favorite links". I dropped in on them the other night to check see if anyone else I knew had signed their guest book... done that yet? While pokin' around on the site I noticed they have a blurb about Al Green's there. That made me wonder if it was still in existence. A quick Dogpile search found this link, where it indicates what happened to the place. Go take a look... it's an odd site, comparing Al Green's to "The Parthenon" and other buildings. Is this a student's study for a college course?
No matter what, it's an interesting place to waste time, if you have it to waste.
What do you think of it?

9 comments:

TwoDogs said...

Al Green's - The very best tenderloins. Like you, was only there a couple of time. Some of it was still standing until a few years ago. I think it is all gone now, though.

Anonymous said...

The Warren Central crowd went to "Al Green's"....at one of Max's class reunions they all got Al Green T-Shirts. The shirt has a picture of Al's on the front that says "Al Green's, Same Day Service".

I think Al received a grant of some sort from the city or state when Shadeland Ave., and the drive-in ,was ended by a cloverleaf on 465. The agreement was that to keep getting the grant he would have to stay open. So if you stopped in for a sandwich it might take a long time to get served....maybe all day!

Bo

Anonymous said...

Max says Al Greens was located at US 40 and Shortridge Rd. I don't know what the building of 465 had to do with damaging his business but it did.

Bo

The Joker said...

By the time I get here to read this, there are already 3 comments, so I don't peek, but as I'm reading GB's post I know exactly where he is talking about and all I can think of is Ed's or Ed Green's, or Green's drive-in, couldn't remember the exact name.
Ahhh...then I see it's Al Green's.
So I should get 1/2 credit. LOL

the golden horse said...

Joker,
Don't feel bad, by the time I get on, you guys have entered a puzzle or joke, got it solved, discussed it in length, and gone to bed. lol.
Al Green's wow, now that is a long time ago.
Do you remember the Pole?

The Joker said...

GH, I always wondered how you fared on these "guess who" puzzles, being in a whole other time zone....like what - about 8 hours difference or more?

Yes I remember the Pole right there on 16th street by White River, close to Lafayette Rd. Right after I graduated, I moved in with my grandmother so I could ride the bus to work downtown until I bought a car. Grandma lived about 3 blocks from the Pole! Oh yeah, I remember it well.

Anonymous said...

Al Green's it was on the southeast corner of Washington and Shadeland as I remember it. It was the tenderloins that sent this Speedway boy clear across town on a cruise one really couldn't afford even at 29 cent per gallon gasoline. Closer to home was the Pole Drive-in on West 16th Street.

Samarpan David said...

My favorite where we used to go for study break food runs was Steak n' Shake. They have one at 247 W Smith Valley Road now. And my favorite order was Chili Three Ways.

Indy Echo said...

Had many a good sandwitch at Al Green's. Oh what memories.

There was another "old" drive in called Knobby's. Been closed for years but believe it or not the building is still there. There has probably been a dozen business(s) in there over the years.

Echo