Monday, September 24, 2007

One Year Later


Ok, fast forward one year. This is Mr. D’s Class of 1966.

My memories of his class were very similar to those of GB. It seemed to me that he spent more time teaching about life and how to get along in it, than what was in his lesson plan. I remember that he was going to night school (at Butler I believe) working on his Bachelor’s in 58-59 so he probably did only have two years of college in 57-58. With little formal training, at that time, and probably little guidance from the school, I imagine that he was pretty much shooting from the hip every day.

He did have a thing for grammar though. In our class, he had a box for everyone to use to drop a note and “Narc” on each other when anyone spoke improperly. At the end of each week he would read the notes in front of the class. It was like Weight Watchers. You learned or died of embarrassment.

I think that some of his unorthodox teaching methods came from being in the National Guard at the time. This was particularly true with his use of exercise for discipline and negative reinforcement. It had a real “Boot Camp” feel about it.

I think what is really interesting is our different perspectives of the same experience. Some saw him as mean and incompetent while others of us felt challenged and liked his approach to teaching.

8 comments:

up, down & charmingly strange said...

OOPs, thanks to OBY for the picture.

Purple Tabby said...

Holy cats!! Working full time, going to school at night plus being in the Guard?!?! I'm surprized he had the energy to correct grammar.

Greybeard said...

UDCS or OBY...
What was Mr. Dietzer's first name?

Anonymous said...

Adolf

Bo

Purple Tabby said...

LOL BO!!! LOL I'm dyin' here!!

up, down & charmingly strange said...

My old yearbooks are packed away so I can't look him up but the name Merrell jumped into my mind when I read your question. Bo could be closer though.

Greybeard said...

I was thinkin' Melvin, but that could be because of Vandy now.
And Bo...
That was funny!
What was it about Mr. Dietzer that you liked so much?

Anonymous said...

Why would I like a teacher that was mean to my friends?

Bo