Friday, November 16, 2007

Hawaii Wrap-Up

Thursday. Departure day.
It had become a regular ritual...
Sun still just below the horizon, Kona coffee was fresh, hot, and free in the lobby. I'd sleepily weeble-wobble my way there, fill my cup, then continue a few feet to the front porch where there were comfortable wicker chairs and solid wood rockers overlooking Pearl Harbor. If TC wasn't already there, he would soon present himself, complimentary newspaper and Diet Coke in hand. It was wonderful watching the sun climb over Honolulu while discussing old times and new. Our talk today centered around how quickly the week had passed and what we had experienced.

Logistics of the day required some planning. The three represented families were all on different flights. Rental cars needed to be returned. Greybeard and family would be left without transportation when TC and TD returned their rental cars. We leaned on GH, and she and Ken came through for us... they'd make sure we got to the airport.

We checked out of the Lodge and made our way to the Honolulu Harley-Davidson dealership. Sara Jean's brother is an avid Harley rider, as is TC. TC and Sara Jean wanted souvenir T-Shirts. While they searched for just the right color/logo combination, I wandered around the showroom floor, boggled by the Harleys, Buells, Ducatis, Moto-Guzzis, Aprilias, and Vespas on display. I hadn't seen a new Vespa in almost 40 years and marvelled at how little they've changed in appearance. (If you're interested, they now come in a great looking 250cc version!)

Bags of T-Shirts in hand we drove the 30 minute drive around to the West bank of Pearl Harbor to GH and Ken's house. Their home is an easy walk from a beach alongside the harbor, and an easy bike ride for Ken to make his way to the "Gray Boat" that shuttles him across the harbor to work. For some, one thing about their home would be an irritation... for GH (and me) it's a wonderful plus... they are directly under the final approach course for Honolulu International airport. Airplanes big and small fly right overhead at less than 1000' altitude. Big Bubba and I sat on the patio and took pictures of Civilian and Military aircraft flying low enough to see hydraulic hoses in the open landing gear wells.

We now loaded up three cars and made our way to the local Chili's restaurant for lunch. Bellies full, we realized we had to break the group up and get everyone on their way home. I wish someone could explain what causes it, but the feeling of melancholy when saying farewell after we've had such a full, wonderful visit starts my tears flowing. I just don't want the good times to end!

With TC, Sharon, TD and Cinders headed to the airport, GH gave the Greybeards a tour of her home and surroundings. Her beach is very nice... great view, with nice chairs and Gazebos for GH and her neighbors. A small cafe is near the beach. Within a stones throw is the Fitness facility GH and Ken belong to. They're not quite retired yet, but they have all the trappings of retirement close at hand.

Ken came home from work on his bicycle. We made small talk, all the time knowing that the hour to make our way back around the harbor was approaching. When we had put it off as long as we could, we loaded up and drove to "Sam Snead's Bar and Restaurant", where we met
the cousin I wanted to see in Hawaii, along with her new Hubby. We had a great meal, then transferred our bags to my cousins SUV and drove the last short leg to Honolulu International.

Kisses and hugs for my cousin, we went through Hawaii's agriculture check, got our boarding passes, and found ourselves at the gate for our flight nearly two hours prior to departure.

If there is anything that will preclude me from coming back to Hawaii, (and there really isn't), it would be the flight to/from.
I never fly 1st Class... can't afford it. But it might be worth the cost on this flight. Spending 6 hours in a flying cylinder with shoulders overlapping the person next to you is NOT my idea of fun. Trying to find a comfortable place to put my arms kept me awake much of the Midnight-to-7 A.M. flight. We flew ATA, and we won't fly that line again. Are all seats on all Airlines serving Hawaii this close together? I intend to investigate!

We arrived Mesa, Arizona tired and cranky. Just the right time to lose one of our bags, right?!
Yeah, they did it. We filled out the required forms, then flagged a cab to head to Big Bubba's apartment. We were 10 minutes into our cab ride home when the cell phone rang... they found our bag... "Can ya come back and get it?" Big Bubba was headed to work... "We'll come back and get it later."

Sara Jean and I spent two fabulous days visiting with Big Bubba and Desi, Big Bubba's Dachshund that he's had since before he left home. Our departure from Mesa was made easier knowing Big B will be home in a couple weeks, eating Turkey and fixin's at our house.

So gang, there ya have it...
I know life gets in the way of things you wanta do sometimes, but those of you that considered coming with us, then chose not to do it... ya missed more than you can imagine!
Let me give ya some good advice...
Get out your calendars. Go ahead... I'll wait.

@@@@
#####
%%%%
^^^^^
&&&&&

Ready? Okay!
Turn to May 11, 2008, and block off the following week, to 18 May.

Those are the dates of the next DDFF... Destination Destin Fishing Fiasco. This year will be bigger, better, funner.

If you're not there, shame on you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Hawkeye here....
Your trip to Hawaii sounds so wonderful. Your description of your activities makes me almost see the sunrise and smell the flowers and sea air.

Like you said, the airplane ride in coach is tight. Four people traveling together, ask for 4 seats in the mid section of the plane where there are 5 seats. We chose outer 2 isle seats on each side, leaving one seat in the middle empty. Most of the time a person doesn't travel to Hawaii by themselves. In our case it did not work, the 10 year old son of the pilot sat in this empty seat. Logically it just might work.

Greybeard said...

Thnx for that, Mrs. Hawk.
I'm open to any and all suggestions.
But here's the deal- We flew to Mesa, AZ. to spend the night with Big Bubba on a Frontier Airlines Airbus 318. We were only on the airplane for 2 hours from home to Denver, then again from Denver to PHX. Those seats were NOT uncomfortable.
As I've indicated, the next day's flight to Hawaii was on an ATA Boeing 757.
I like Boeing airplanes. I think they are superior to the European product in almost every way. But those seats were noticeably narrower and less comfortable than were the seats in the Airbus.
When we next make that long flight, we'll try another line, hoping to find a slighter wider seat. (Just half an inch would have made all the difference!)

Anonymous said...

GB,
I'm with you on the flight back from Hawaii...ours was the trip from HELL. I don't remember which airline we were on but we were seated in the center seats; I was on the aisle and "Clint" to my left. There were people lying on the floor sleeping! Others sat with their legs straight up on the seat in front of them, BAREFOOT with their stinky feet up in the air. What a mess...I never sleep on flights but did finally fall asleep for a few minutes until "Clint" saw a man get his meal which was LOBSTER!! Clint felt the need to wake me, "Bo, Bo!! We're having LOBSTER! Okay I wake up, thinking, "this can't be true". The man had requested a "special" meal. The rest of us got dog food. SO, I like you, desire a seat up front that I can sleep. I haven't got an o.k. on that of course!! We are still at a standstill on that subject. I say he can sit back there with all those people....I'll be up front...I'll save two seats for you and Sara Jean.

Bo