Saturday, November 10, 2007

Standin' Tall

Got a note from Mr. Legan this week:

To my family and friends,Mary Lee and I went to Franklin, IN yesterday for a veteran's day program at Franklin College where a former student that I had taught at Center Grove my second year teaching the \sixth grade was the special speaker. Major General Martin Umbarger is now in charge of the Indiana National Guard. Before his speech he came over to the table where some of his former classmates and wives, and Mary Lee and myself were sitting. He saw me across the table and came over and we shook hands. He was really surprised to see me in the audience. I introduced him to Mary Lee. Before his speech he acknowledged me before a gathering of about 125 saying in so many words that his year with me was something to behold, and appreciated me being there. He also told them that I could not call him Major General Martin, just Marty. Mary Lee and I came especially to see him. It probably had been in the mid 1970's that I last saw Marty. He delivered a great speech. I was quite proud to hear and see him. Afterwards pictures were taken with Marty, Bob Davidson and Steve Witty, classmates at CG, and myself. It was nice to have had the opportunity to have fellowship with Bob, Steve, and their wives. Steve had been a coach at Ben Davis high school in Indianapolis, and had won three (?) state finals in basketball in the middle 1990's.It was also nice to see other good friends there. I shook hands with the President of the college, Wendy and Betsy from the FC offices, and other good friends.It was a day to behold. Franklin College was a most gracious host for the Veteran's Program with a buffet before the program.
William C. Legan

We take pride in Marty's accomplishments, but Mr. L., your guidance helped all of us in your class become what we are today.
Thank you sir!

7 comments:

TwoDogs said...

GB, Mahalo for posting this. You are right in the fact that we were so lucky to have people like Mr. Legan to guide us through our formative years. Sorry to have missed this - we will have to keep this in mind for next fall. Hawaii was great fun, though, with some wonderful people. Aloha

Anonymous said...

Fly Here
I don't know about anybody else, but I was always afraid of Mr. Legan! Like so many other things in life, I should not have been afraid of him. It's really nice to have him Blogging the VK.

Anonymous said...

Fly Here, I was not as mean as I seemed. I enjoyed so much being at CG and teaching the 6th grade for four years, probably my favorite years of teaching.
Could someone send me the code names for you all? I don't even know who Fly Here is...Good to hear from all...I know who the following are: Greybeard, Hawkeye, Hot Lips, and Bo Mar.... I do read Vandy's kids each day.
Mr. Legan
honeyrun12@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Fly Girl again, Mr. L, I'm Patsy Jones from Mr. Hillengerger's 6th grade class. Take my "fear of you" as a compliment! It just means that you were a good teacher! No offense to Mr. H, but I probably would have learned more in your class... fear can work wonders on the youth. Too bad there's not more fear in today's schools. Oops, I better not go there!
Great to have you Blogging the VK!

Anonymous said...

Fly Girl again just to clarify things. Mr. L, my full code name is FLY GIRL, aka: FLY. That's why I started out my comments with: Fly Here...ha!

If I could remember my user name & password, I wouldn't have to sign in as anonymous and state my name.

Sorry for the confusion, but it was funny. I like the name: FLY HERE! Maybe I'll use it...thanks!

Anonymous said...

To Fly Girl alias Fly Here, It was good to learn who you are, and I think I remember you. Perhaps we will meet someday. Mr. Hillenberg was a good teacher and a nice man. I have not heard or seen him in years. I just know after he left CG he went to the Southport School system, and taught there for awhile. His wife died, and I heard that he had remarried. Mr. L

Anonymous said...

Fly Girl again.
Mr. L, just a quick memory of 6th grade in the old build: most of us remember the teachers meeting in the afternoon out in the hall. Mrs. Hicks, Mr. H, & you having lots of laughs out of the classrooms and away from us. I don't know how you managed us, but I'm sure you all needed a break from the classrooms. Of course, we all speculated on what was going on out there in the hall...ha!